SSD drive replacement on Toshi Sat A505

vbimport

OK, where is the dad blamed SSD…bet it is under the keyboard!

OK, I will go to the trouble of taking it apart…just wanted to know if anybody has upgraded from 64GB legacy to upgrade 256GB on one of these already?

Actually want to upgrade the D hard drive to another 256GB SSD as well…any wisdom on that either way?

I DON’T have more money than sense…but I was snowed in and bored and…there were these Samsung 256GB SSDs for a good deal…you know the rest.

Look forward to replies…will inpart wisdom in return if I find any laying around.

[QUOTE=toshi_lover99;2566195]OK, where is the dad blamed SSD…bet it is under the keyboard!

OK, I will go to the trouble of taking it apart…just wanted to know if anybody has upgraded from 64GB legacy to upgrade 256GB on one of these already?

Actually want to upgrade the D hard drive to another 256GB SSD as well…any wisdom on that either way?

I DON’T have more money than sense…but I was snowed in and bored and…there were these Samsung 256GB SSDs for a good deal…you know the rest.

Look forward to replies…will inpart wisdom in return if I find any laying around.[/QUOTE]

Hi and welcome.

I have upgrade my Toshiba A300-1MT hard drive from the original to a Western Digital Black and now to a Corsair Nova 64GB. Everything is working fine, the system feels more responsive and also faster.

If your laptop has two bays for SSD i would choose to have the OS on the SSD and 500Gb spinning drive for all the rest, so this way i wont have to torture to SSD’s, and also have more than enough room for all my data.

Well, never did find the 64GB SSD…took case apart down to mobo but didn’t see the 64GB…might be hard wired into the system is what I’m thinking.

Am working on putting the 256GB SSD in where the existing 500GB hard drive is now and renaming the drives so that that drive will be C: and the 64GB SSD will be D: - only problem is how to reload the OS onto the new drive as C: Already did a full load from the Toshi restore and it never provides an option regarding formatting and setting drives to active etc. This restore did give me option of deleting data faster or longer and it still took a few hours for the whole thing to restore…4 DVDs in this restore.

Word to the wise…over 30 screws on these to strip down to the mobo…watch out for the ribbon cables when lifting off the case…bear to figure out how to reconnect…took me a hour to figure out how to get the bottom one of three reconnected…finally figured out that I needed to reset the top case back in place and reach through to set the ribbon cable back in and flip the gizmo that holds it down…never seen that type of connection before. Oh well, that will teach me to tinker down to that level!

Saw the one response…thanks, but, was already aware of all in that response. The 64GB after actual size (59GB with NTFS), dedicated 10GB partition (so that the OS will have room to temporarily load apps during processing), and the Win7 OS load…leaves 18GB for loading of my apps. Don’t know about you guys, but, this doesn’t leave a lot of room for loading MS Office 2007 Pro, Adobe CS2 Premium, and other space hogs on the C: drive. loading them on D: drive leaves a lot to be desired since there are a lot of flukes with programs that are hard coded to look for the C: drive location for program code…yes, I know that they will load but there are still the frustrating moments when trying to use a program function and getting an error because the program code is on the D: drive and not on C:…still happens.

You can use Acronis true image to copy the OS from one disk to another*, after that you will only need to change the boot devices in the bios and everything should work.
I have no idea about the layout of your toshiba, but mine was very simple, next to the dvd drive was the old hard disks, and i only had to remove one screw for the cover and 6 for the disks.

*there is an option to bunr a live cd of acronis, and for me this is the best way to clone a disk, and it takes less time.

thanks for the advice…will most likely try it and will post again if this works out OK.

I did expect that the SSD drive would be in the same vicinity since the laptop is so big…alas, that would just be TOO easy! Can’t have that…

Well, found out the 64GB is 1.8 and is mounted onto the mobo…NOT going to mess with that.

I did mount the 256GB SSD where the 500GB Sata was and it went in very smoothly. Has SATA connector and BIOS had no problem reading the drive…next am going to copy the OS over, make sure it will boot from the 256GB drive…then reassign drive letters so that the 256 ends up as C: and the 64 ends up as the D: drive. Did something similar years ago when I had two drives where I could only slave the larger drive on and had to monkey around with the drive letter assignment to have them logically present the way that I wanted. Seem to remember that that worked out OK…course this was like 20 years ago but hopefully should work out OK.

Tested the new SSD drive by copying 3.61GB of data from C: to D:…it took 39 seconds that I am aware of…it actually was probably much better but I didn’t pay close attention since I was taking a bathroom break at the time…TMI.

Good news is that the 2.5 inch SSDs can be used in place of any drive with SATA where the BIOS will read it…this is a pretty safe bet if you are dealing with SATA since the bios are pretty good from the first SATA release to current. Can even use in home machines with a 2.5 inch mounting kit used inside the 3.5 inch bay…already had a friend that did this and he is having a field day with his new Samsung 256GB SSD as well.

Anybody know if the HP All in One will take two drives? Just got one and would mount my 2nd 256 SSD in it if I can…hate to take it apart already since it has new warranty. Could be even more smokin that it is already though!!!