Squeezing a 5.7 gig file into a single layer (4.4 gig) DVD?

Hi all, currently I have a 5.7 DVD from my friend and i was wondering whether should I convert it to a smaller file and squeeze it into a single layer DVD (dual layer DVDs are freaking expensive!). Do any of of you have experience with this and if so, could you teach me how (what program in nero to use and steps) and whether the quality of sound and video will be compromised severely?

Thanks in advance!

DVD Shrink (free) will do it fine.

You could also use Nero Recode to shrink your DVD. Note, however, that you will also need to decrypt the DVD first if it contains copy protection (most commercially sold DVDs do). For that you can either use a ripper and extract the DVD to your hard drive before shrinking, or use an on-the-fly decryption driver like AnyDVD.

DVD Shrink = Win.

Yeah DVD Shrink is the simplest way of doing it, but even at 4.4GB it will not fit on a DVD5 disc. You need to shrink it to 4.36GB

what do you do if you have a 5.7gig iso/ game disk that you want to put on a 4.7 gig dvd

You cannot!

Buy the original! :cop:

ok htat is what i thought i was trying to back up my supreme commander and the disk is 5gig lol ok thanks

In this case you could use a DL (DVD+R DL) probably.

Isn’t there anything that automatically compresses it to fit on a DVD5? Or isn’t it invented yet?

And why are they inventing new things like HD-DVD and blu ray when past opticals aren’t even stable yet?

Isn’t there anything that automatically compresses it to fit on a DVD5?

Are you talking about a game or a movie? AFAIK games cannot be compressed and must be reproduced as 1:1. DVD Shrink will compress movies quite efficiently and with excellent quality. It’s not necessarily automatic as a few mouse clicks are required. As far as the stability of current media/ODD’s, they are very stable if you use high quality media from Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden and have a quality burner with current firmware.

[QUOTE=suicider785;1936578]Isn’t there anything that automatically compresses it to fit on a DVD5? Or isn’t it invented yet?

And why are they inventing new things like HD-DVD and blu ray when past opticals aren’t even stable yet?[/QUOTE]

Just read the other posts…games are unlike VideoDVDs, so no one can do what you wanna try.

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;1936588]As far as the stability of current media/ODD’s, they are very stable if you use high quality media from Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden and have a quality burner with current firmware.[/QUOTE]

Hmm… Why are Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden dvd/cd 's better than let’s say Platinum, because I’ve been using Platinum for a very long time and I think they are of very good quality. And my burner is a Pioneer 111D with latest firmware, but I think I have issues with the motherboard (K9) as I didn’t have these on my old motherboard (K7).

[QUOTE=suicider785;1950724]Hmm… Why are Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden dvd/cd 's better than let’s say Platinum, because I’ve been using Platinum for a very long time and I think they are of very good quality. And my burner is a Pioneer 111D with latest firmware, but I think I have issues with the motherboard (K9) as I didn’t have these on my old motherboard (K7).[/QUOTE]

Simply because they invent and produce hi-quality, all others buy from 3rd party sources and market that stuff under their own “brand”.