- Never ever use an user account with administrative permissions unless there is some maintenance task to do.
- Avoid cracks, keygens, torrented versions of commercial software
- Consider any unrequested attachment to mail or messengers as potentially evil.
- Don't rely on security software.
- Make sure, your software is always patched, that includes your OS, your browsers, mail clients, messengers as well as plugins like flash or Java. Adobe's PDF Reader has a poor security history, so you may consider to replace that by something else.
As additional line of defense, you may have a look at Microsoft Security Essentials - at least there is some hope, a false positive will not render your system useless.
I currently have installed the AVG Free 9.0 sftware.....I was wondering if this is sufficient for protection....
2nd - My daughters computer is very slow...how do I correct this...what must I clean to help make it faster...any suggestions....I sat and removed all unused programs...just looking 4 help in this area....Thanks for the insight in advance
Check the system for malware from outside using a Live CD. If there is any, then it's time for a flatten-and-rebuild-party.