Spyhunter 4 developer sues Malwarebytes for marking software as potentially unwanted program

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/spyhunter-4-developer-sues-malwarebytes-marking-software-potentially-unwanted-program-83483/

Antivirus vendor Malwarebytes has been sued in France for marking the applications SpyHunter and Reghunter, from a company called Enigma Software, as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP). Previously Enigma Software also filed a lawsuit in the United States for the same reason.

Is this the software which I saw on many Homepages with aggressive commercials/ads?

I know some ppl which load it down and called me because it shows many spyware/trojans etc.

I don´t trust this software, I guess it´s a cheap trick to get ppls money

Which software are you referring to? Malwarebytes is a legit malware/antivirus program. I’m assuming “spyhunter” is what it is flagged to be but even if it is not, Malwarebytes flags PUP’s, and if the users selects, quarantines them. It (or similar) is required for any non-technical users on WIndows as Defender and most 3rd party antivirus let crap that screws up your system get installed as it isn’t technically a virus. Toolbars, adware programs, etc. Had to install it on my mom’s system after she installed the software for her fitbit that wasn’t from fitbit. It constantly dowloaded other adware programs and made her system unusable. Had Bitdefender running and it did nothing to prevent it but Malwarebytes removed it and has prevented her from installing other things.