Spy Kids 2 and IC vs. DVD2one!

vbimport

Spy Kids 2 has so much extras that in total is around 8 gig. The default in IC is to compress the video portion (without audio) to from 3.82GB to 1.58GB in order to make room for extras. I ran it (bumped the menu quality to 100% - probably shouldnt have) and the image was 4.5GB (too large), so then I adjusted some things down so it predicted a 4.22GB image (just to be safe), tried again and in reality ended up with a 4.31GB image. I burned and the resulting quality is not that great. I could try again and take out a bunch of extras out but I don’t feel like wasting hours or days messing with this, considering it takes several hours each time. I ran it through DVD2One - took 15 mins. Since the main movie is only 3.82GB, and the AC3 portion (only audio stream I kept) is 323MB, that equals around 4.1GB. There is actually no transcoding done in this case and the result should be 100% same quality as the original (my image with DVD2one was only 4.1GB, not 4.3GB, so this proves).

I sort of am leaning back to the idea how DVD2One does things now instead of trying to preserve all the menus and extras like IC, which I probably will never use anyways. Way easier to pop a DVD in and watch the movie rather than messing around with clunky dvd menus in order to get the damm video started. Easier for the kids also. All I am doing this for is to backup the kids dvds I buy so they can watch on their own TV and not worry about destroying the originals.

Others though, like Time Machine and The Matrix come out really good with IC.

Instant Copy is also easier for a multi-episode DVD at this time than current version of DVD2One.

I agree with everything you say and, unlike some others on the forums, cannot hand-on-heart see the difference in quality between IC7 and DVD2One given the same sized output. Certainly, there’s nothing to account for the huge difference in processing times.

However, I have just come across an instance where 1:1 copies might win the day. If you copy the title The Sum of all Fears using DVD2One, the subtitles are lost. This is because, I suspect, some initialisation occurs during the root menu preamble. Unusually, the menu resides in VTS_01_0.VOB rather than VIDEO_TS.VOB. Now DVD2One discards this VOB, the main movie residing in VTS_02_x.VOB, thus this initialisation never takes place and as a result, the subtitles never become available.

This is a fairly obscure phenomenon and if anyone else has encountered it and dealt with it satisfactorily, I’d be glad to hear from them.

-Pete

However, I have just come across an instance where 1:1 copies might win the day. If you copy the title The Sum of all Fears using DVD2One, the subtitles are lost. This is because, I suspect, some initialisation occurs during the root menu preamble. Unusually, the menu resides in VTS_01_0.VOB rather than VIDEO_TS.VOB. Now DVD2One discards this VOB, the main movie residing in VTS_02_x.VOB, thus this initialisation never takes place and as a result, the subtitles never become available.

I have a copy what was made with dvd2one "off The Sum of all Fears " , with the subs titles working.

I thing you did somthing wrong maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

When you made your copy with DVD2One, did you include ALL subtitles, or just - as in my case - the English ones?

-Pete

the copy have only the Dutch Subs in it and the English audio track

and it play wel (good movie (y) )

GreetZ

Burnin

I did Spy Kids 2 and had good results. I don’t remeber if I used the reg hack or not, I’ll check the disk and post back later.

I did Spy Kids 2 as well, and I have to say I wasn’t very happy, but what can you expect. It has a HUGE number of extras, and they are large, so the reslt means that the movie has to be compressed highly to fit it on. I even adjusted the compression levels, so that all the extras were only compressing at 30%. Of course the extras looked pretty bad. The movie ended up with 65% compression, which is of course pretty high, and the movie looked fine for the kids, but I was not that happy.

So it all comes down to the final question, do you really want the special features. Since this was my kids movie, they like the features so I am leaving them on for them. For me however, I would rather have just the movie with the highest quality possible. For the few times I still want to keep the features for myself, I will probably split the movie over 2 disks, probably with DVDxCopy. I am just not that enamoured with cramming all the extras on a DVD when the quality suffers so much.

Dont be fooled by that disc mate,i just made a perfect copy of that dvd,try putting it in pinnacle instant copy 7 and youll notest theres two copys of the same movie on there they just done that to fill the dvd up to 8 gigs,but you have to have the reg hack to start deselecting stuff,yeh and the movie is like number 1 on the vob ladder and when you scrill down to about number 7 or one of the other vobs youll see theyve put a second version of the same movie but with no sound just deselect that file and then you can copy the whole thing without downsampling it at all.they done that just so they could fill a duel layer disc up then they wouldnt have to put it on a single layer and make it easy for people to copy.

I checked the original again and this is not the case. I have the North American version so maybe if you are somewhere else it is different?!?

There are 44 titles, the only one that contains the movie is title 1. There are a lot of previews and other behind-the-scenes or making-of and they all add-up to make it large.

Originally posted by gazman
Dont be fooled by that disc mate,i just made a perfect copy of that dvd,try putting it in pinnacle instant copy 7 and youll notest theres two copys of the same movie on there they just done that to fill the dvd up to 8 gigs,but you have to have the reg hack to start deselecting stuff,yeh and the movie is like number 1 on the vob ladder and when you scrill down to about number 7 or one of the other vobs youll see theyve put a second version of the same movie but with no sound just deselect that file and then you can copy the whole thing without downsampling it at all.they done that just so they could fill a duel layer disc up then they wouldnt have to put it on a single layer and make it easy for people to copy.