Spti/scsi tracer available

During the final stage of the Uniflash gui program Liggy and I were discussing some new features. In order to realize them we had to find out how certain commands were sent to the NEC drives. I created a small program that would allow us to trace this data to a logfile.

This program now called TraceSPTI helped us to discover new things about the NEC drives and after several remarks by Liggy to make this program public available I decided to do so :bigsmile:

So if you are interrested in how programs like WinBType or DVDInfo are talking to your drive, you might give this program a try. It can be downloaded from:
http://www.norocketscience.com/download/SetupTraceSpti.exe

Some final remaks:
TraceSPTI requires a real win32 operating system like Windows 2000 or Windows XP
Be sure to read the ReadMe file and to check the settings before running this program.

Happy tracing…

r-man

Hehe, cool. Maybe this’ll work better than the bsaspi logger.

Sorry to bring this topic out from the dead, but just want to congratulate the author. Very, very usefull program. Helped me fetch a lot of drive specific commands.

Does anyone know if there is such program written for DOS? Or how is the drive accessed there?

When we are on it, I’ve made a small ASPI logger a couple of weeks ago. I used this to find out why cdrecord had buffer underrun problems with newer pioneer dvd recorders.

Does anyone know if there is such program written for DOS? Or how is the drive accessed there?
There is an ASPI driver for DOS, however, on DOS any program is free to talk directly to any hardware, so logging is IMHO not possible in some cases.

Hello Alexander,

Nice little program. Simillar to bsaspi. And works fine with some programs.

You re probably correct about the DOS loger. It communicated directly there. Will have to find a diffrent way to find the drive specific commands.

Thanks!

Isn’t there any kind of DOS emulator which would allow to catch direct hardware accesses?

Not that I know off. Maybe Vmware or Virtual PC? They use some kind of drivers for the drive access. Haven’t tried it yet.

What about Dosbox. Not sure however if hardware access to drive is passed through.

I think this one is mainly for playing old DOS games. Not sure if CD-ROM is supported.

It is very well possible to catch I/O accesses on DOS, I have written
such code 10 years ago or so. Instead of speculating about direct
or indirect accesses, read the Intel manuals.

Hello spath,

Do you perhaps have any example code or some specific tips on this matter?

Thanks

Please let me say “Thanks a lot” this tool rocks.