Sprint demands smartphones have Wi-Fi

I just posted the article Sprint demands smartphones have Wi-Fi.

Sprint Nextel announced that a new version of the Research In Motion BlackBerry Tour 9630 will be released next year to support Wi-Fi, as Sprint expects consumers to keep craving mobile devices…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/16177-Sprint-demands-smartphones-have-Wi-Fi.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/16177-Sprint-demands-smartphones-have-Wi-Fi.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I have owned PDA phones for the last 4 years. I had the Samsung SCH-i730 for the first 2 years and Samsung SCH-i760 for the last 2 years. They both had/have Wi-Fi.
The one thing you have to be careful of when using a smartphone with Wi-Fi is the battery life. Running the Wi-Fi radio eats up the battery much faster than just the telephone or telephone with Bluetooth radio.
Some early smartphiones with Wi-Fi wouldn’t let you run the phone and the Wi-Fi simultaneously. My Samsung SCH-i730 prohibited that until I upgraded from Windows Mobile 3 to Windows Mobile 5. So it wasn’t hardware, just software.

Err … the last 3 smart phone’s I’ve had also had built-in wifi, although I suspect the first two only had 802.11b. It was still much faster than the 3G network, no matter what the telco’s claims.

I have the iphone 3G atm, and wifi blows away the 3G network … even on a 512Kb/s adsl(1) connection.

Telstra (the provider) informs me that the 3G network is running at 5.5Mbps here. It’s slooooooooooowwww…

It beggers belief that any phone manufacturer would be stupid enough to release a smartphone without wifi.

The RIM engineers must have been smoking crack when they decided the feature list should exclude wifi!!!

“The RIM engineers must have been smoking crack when they decided the feature list should exclude wifi!!!” That’s a pretty silly comment. Engineers creating feature lists! Good one.