Spotted: Windows Update Security CD - Australia only?

vbimport

I think this is for Australia only, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong :bigsmile:.

Found this article in April 2004 edition of APC (Australian Personal Computer):

Snail mail to the rescue
With a vast number of people still on dialup, it’s becoming inceasingly difficult for them to download the various updates and patches needed to keep a PC virus-free. The solution? Order a CD in the mail.
Mirosoft has kindly offered to produce an update CD combining all critical updates for versions of Windows released up to October 2003. It’s available for Windows XP, Me, 2000, 98 and 98SE, and it includes bonus antivirus and firewall trial software. Best of all, it’s free.
However, any virus exploits needing patching after Octover will require more updates. To order the CD, vise www.microsoft.com.au/australia/security . Remember, you’ll need to allow 2-4 weeks for delivery

I have ordered the CD - it’s free charge. Including postage and handling. I don’t know if you feel safe giving your home address to Micro$oft though :bigsmile:.

I found a link on the Micro$oft webiste for a free Windows XP SP1 CD. There were kind enough to get my order for 5 free ones wrong and I ended up getting 10 instead. Oh well. Saved me and my friends downloading it.

It’s now here : http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

And it’s worldwide.

Originally posted by $CyBeRwIz$
And it’s worldwide.

Originally posted by $CyBeRwIz$
And it’s worldwide.

thanks theone_ . i have signed up for it … i feel scared because , as i have given my name and address , they might visit my home :slight_smile:

Originally posted by arun_34
thanks theone_ . i have signed up for it … i feel scared because , as i have given my name and address , they might visit my home :slight_smile:
But we all know that you have nothing illegal happening in your computer, don’t we :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by theone1_
But we all know that you have nothing illegal happening in your computer, don’t we :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

well that is a tough question to answer to :wink: . lets hope i dont have any illegal stuff here :slight_smile:

Got mine on order.

Thanx theone1_:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Actually, there are two CDs. The first one with M$ updates, and the second one with Etrust EZ Antivirus and EZ firewall. The former appears to have a free virus definition subscription for one year. At least it says so on the CD. I couldn’t find when my subcription expires in program settings and the AV was downloading updates just fine. I uninstalled it, because I don’t need this AV. Others looking for a free AV s/w may find it useful. The firewall is a rebadged ZoneAlarm 4.5 30 day trial :wink:

Ok, just got it today…haven’t tested it out yet. But it came pretty fast :slight_smile:

Originally posted by theone1_
Ok, just got it today…haven’t tested it out yet. But it came pretty fast :slight_smile:

you got real quick - less than a week .

Got mine 3 mins ago.:slight_smile:

Just ordered mine now.

Even though I made a custom slipstreamed CD for every O/S I have to install with all latest updates, patches, and security holes to date.