Spotted : Keyser Soze's XP Security Pack 2.001

vbimport

Find it at : http://www.keyserproject.com/keyserfiles.htm

Keyser Soze’s XP Security Pack comprises of 90% security hotfixes & 10% critical hotfixes (for pc stability). The package is not meant as a replacement for Windows Update, it has been compiled so that you can quickly and easily update your system after a reinstall of Windows.

Changes in Current Version:
Added KB810217, Q810565, Q811493, Q821557, KB823182, KB824105, KB824141, KB824146, KB825119, KB828028, KB828035, Q832483
Reintroduced Q329170
Replaced Q823980 with KB824146
Removed Q318089, Q331320, Q811630, Q816868
Accurately renamed Q814078_JS56NEN.exe to js56nen.exe
Accurately renamed Q823559_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU.exe to WindowsXP-KB823559-x86-ENU.exe
Further simplified the name to Keyser Soze’s XP Security Pack
Added a Warranty of Disclaimer to the Setup Wizard
Updated the FAQs
Few cosmetic changes
Minor spelling corrections

Well spotted Mr. Belvedere. Unfortunately bandwith usage in the first day was much higher than expected. The pack was downloaded 1200+ times in an 8hr period. We are in the process of purchasing a dedicated server but until a bandwith limiting script can be installed and additional mirrors can be found, direct download has had to be disabled. Sorry about that folks.

*If anyone has any bandwidth to donate and would like to additionally host the pack for download, please contact me asap at airesXPuk@hotmail.com - otherwise I may have to consider the option of distributing the file over BitTorrent and I really don’t want to do that.

Originally posted by Keyser_Soze
Well spotted Mr. Belvedere.

Thanks. I like the product , because it wouldn’t be the first time i had to reinstall someone’s computer and leave it connected to windowsupdate.com for two days :slight_smile:

Unfortunately bandwith usage in the first day was much higher than expected. The pack was downloaded 1200+ times in an 8hr period. We are in the process of purchasing a dedicated server but until a bandwith limiting script can be installed and additional mirrors can be found, direct download has had to be disabled. Sorry about that folks.

Whoops :o . Unfortunately betanews.com (of which i obtained the information) didn’t have a mirror at that time, but just redirected to your website. I hope your server(s) aren’t smoking :).

*If anyone has any bandwidth to donate and would like to additionally host the pack for download, please contact me asap at airesXPuk@hotmail.com - otherwise I may have to consider the option of distributing the file over BitTorrent and I really don’t want to do that.

Well , i got some ideas :

The people at majorgeeks.com have two great mirrors (planetmirror and btn network). Perhaps you could have a chat with those guys to host your excellent software packs.

I don’t know if the cdfreaks management can be persuaded to donate some filespace/bandwith. You could have a chat with Domi8or about it. Doens’t hurt to ask :slight_smile:

Perhaps betanews.com also have a mirror for you ?

Other suggestions :

• You must choose a Custom Installation if the Official
    Microsoft Windows XP SP1 or SP1a is already installed.
    Isn’t there a way to automate this ? I think a lot of unexperienced windows xp users aren’t going to read this procedure thoroughly :slight_smile: (Just my experience with them)

Keep the updates coming ,

Regards ,

Mr. Belvedere

I did contact Major Geeks when the security pack was first released last year, but unfortunately I didn’t receive any response. I have to say that the response to the release of an updated pack in just three days, while not enormous has also been more of a response than I’ve previously received.

It had been my intention to contact Major Geeks again and I will do so, but I also need help from private individuals. People are often reluctant to put their hand up to help with bandwidth for fear of having it all swallowed up. I’d like to build a group of people who are interested in the pack as an idea who would donate bandwidth. The more people who offer to host the pack for download, the more it helps everyone out who offers - many hands make light work.

In theory BitTorrent is the the solution to my problem, but not enough people know about BitTorrent or how to use BitTorrent or what BitTorrent is or does. And also people are lazy and won’t want to install a piece of software just to download another piece of software.

So until a later time, I really need to find people willing to hold their hands up and say ‘I think this is a good idea and I want to help’. But yes of course I will contact Major Geeks again and see what happens - nothing ventured nothing gained. And at the end of the day I do this to help other people - not to make money.

I’ve posted a message to all the moderators/admins/management @ cdfreaks if they have an idea to help you out. Perhaps they have some excellent ideas.

is it free? do you think my university would mind me putting it up on their servers? i have 100 mb of free space, and no transfer limits that i am aware of.

Well the the security pack is free ckin2001 and the installer and text files are contained within a 46.8mb zip file. Please e-mail me and I can give you further details, but if you think you can help then what I’d like to do is this:

Over the next week I’d like to privately build a group of people willing to host the pack for download and then post all the download mirrors on the pack homepage. I fear if I add mirrors one at a time, people will find their bandwidth swallowed up and this will defeat things right from the very start. If I can unleash many download mirrors at once it will ease things on everyone. As I say - many hand make light work.

Please e-mail me and I’ll give you some details and we can take things from there. Many thanks ckin2001.

Unfortunately we can’t be of any help, our bandwidth is sponsored and only intended for use of our own files.

Why not go Peer2Peer? I think eDonkey and BitTorrent are both widely used clients that would make acceptable candidates.

Isn’t slipstreaming SP’s an easier solution, one cd, one install, nothing else to worry about.

The security pack is not meant to replace the Microsoft servive pack for XP. I personally don’t want to install SP1 but I do want the security updates contained in SP1. Even though I have a DSL connection it’s still a pain to update XP after a reinstall. I’m told (although I can’t confirm) that the security pack is very popular with system admins who use it after a reinstall of XP. SP1 contains some fixes - but it also brought with it some bugs. There are instructions on the internet as to how to create your own slipstreamed version of XP with SP1 integrated. I don’t personally see the point because - a) it introduces new problems that didn’t previously exist and b) SP2 is just around the corner anyway. SP2 will make more than a few changes to the code of XP and it’ll contain slightly more than just critical and security updates. I just want to reserve the choice to install security updates and not alter the heart of XP and possibly introduce new problems. The package is not meant as a replacement for Windows Update, it has been compiled so that you can quickly and easily update your system after a reinstall of XP.

eDonkey:
ed2k://|file|ksxpsp21.zip|49114787|42d0f561540ade9db1866c898b48ac1b|/

Gnutella:
magnet:?xt=urn:bitprint:DKZPOV2VTL4WKDAZRUWO7CAWAJSQMZKU.NHKLFH5BFDDLALBXCQKI6CUCNMVRD2I33DSN3KI&dn=ksxpsp21.zip

@Keyser: I’ll submit it to some ed2k sites later today, get you some more sources.

That would be good. People are trying to download it from me but there are only two full copies being shared across eDonkey and Gnutella (G2). The more sources there are the better and of course I try to start people as soon as I see them. The more fragments there are on the networks the quicker the file can be downloaded by people. :wink:

I had my friend post it in a bunch of forums, for now this is the only frontpage it appears on (Can I post this link???)

http://www.shareconnector.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Edonkey&file=index&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=3877

i dont think i’ll be able to host it on my network >.< - while i have 100 mb of space, i dont have 50 allocated to www - and i cant change the quota there.

I had my friend post it in a bunch of forums, for now this is the only frontpage it appears on (Can I post this link???)

If it’s exactly the same zip just under a different name - (I mean if it’s not been repackaged) - then please go ahead and post it wherever you would like to.

That’s okay ckin2001 - it’s the thought that counts and I do appreciate the gesture anyway.

Yes it’s the same file, just changed the name field within the link.

We do have a dedicated server running now and the pack is also being shared on eDonkey and Gnutella. I just did a search using Shareaza and there are 260 copies being shared which is quite good. If you have eDonkey or eMule installed, I’d recommend you download it from the eDonkey network as it just makes it easier for everyone else who downloads the pack - you’ll be helping others. :wink: