Splitting material

vbimport

I’m new to DVDFab. Like it a lot so far. Here is my current problem:

I have a movie. The disc has two versions of the movie. One is the movie of course. It dubbed fine. The other is the movie with the director’s comments.

How can I rip/burn/dub just the version that has the director’s comments onto a seperate disc? It was compressing it all down to 55% to try to fit BOTH movies onto one disc. I thought I might lose too much quality with that much compression. Hence, my desire to use two discs. I have the movie itself done - I just don’t know how to tweak out just the director’s comments movie by itself onto a seperate disc. I hope I am not sounding to redundant. I just want to describe the problem well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Dean

Why not just use a DL then you can get it all on just 1 disc

I don’t know. Never thought of that. I thought DL were only available to studios. So, the general public can buy them? Like, i could buy a few of them at WalMart? All I have ever bought were DVD-R 4.7gb.

Thanks a bunch.

Dean

a directors commentary is usually just a 2nd audio stream. you’ll find that most ( s 90+%) of the original DVD space is taken up by the video stream. the movie video will only be recorded once onto the DVD, when you choose to watch it with directorys commentary it just gets played with a different audio stream.

So there will be 2 or more audio streams + some menus & maybe some extras. one of the audio streams will be the directors commentary.

you may have to preview the DVD with another program like powerdvd in order to work out which audio stream is which.

you can then tell dvdfab , in customise or main movie mode, which audio strreams to copy & which to leave out, but you don’t save a lot of space that way - you’ll still probably need to compress the movie

Cybmole and Jimbo-

Thank you for your replies.

I’m not a high quality nut. I watch my stuff on old TV’s (ie. one is 7 years old, one is about 15 years old and the other is about 20 years old).

So, if the whole DVD on a single layer got compressed all the way down to say 55% - do you think that would still view fine given my low quality standards! :wink:

Thanks a bunch.

1. select main movie only i.e. get rid of anye xtras and menus - compression then will be closer to 100 than 55. ( UNless it’s a 3 hour movie! )

2. whether you notice the picture quality difference depends partly on your tv screen size & on how close you sit to it.

the quality is also affacted by the type of conenction between your dvd player & your TV ( though that will affect the original dvd also)

simplest answer is try it & see !

I agree on all accounts.

Now, can a BL be purchased at any local WalMart or does one have to go to some fancy PC/Memo kind of store?

Thanks.

Whoops. I meant “DL”. Can a person buy a DL at WalMart?

Thanks.

[quote=gal56b;2076905]I agree on all accounts.

Now, can a BL be purchased at any local WalMart or does one have to go to some fancy PC/Memo kind of store?

Thanks.[/quote]

Yes, but for the best DL (Verbatim) I think you’ll need to go to BestBuy or somewhere like that. WalMart didn’t have them the last time I was there.

Signals - good info. Thank you very much!

[QUOTE=signals;2077294]Yes, but for the best DL (Verbatim) I think you’ll need to go to BestBuy or somewhere like that. WalMart didn’t have them the last time I was there.[/QUOTE]
Yup…ditto on my good friend signals’ advice…definitely go with the +R DL verbs…with one additional piece of advice.
Be certain the verbs are MIS (made in Singapore) and not MII (made in India). You’ll have to look on the spindle wrapper to see the location.
You can take a look at the cdf"s bargain basement thread…mambers post the best deals there on all sorts of stuff.

Also, if you have a local sam’s club…I recently picked up 2 spindles of the MIS, DLs…50 pk for about $58…helluva deal for these babies

Maineman - my goodness - you have this down to an art! :wink:

Thanks for the good info!

Dean