Splitting a movie to put on smaller disks?

vbimport

So I thought about saving some money buy purchasing some 4.7 GB dvd’s to backup a 7 gigabyte disk, but am unsure on how I would split the archive to fit 2 disks.

For example-- I want to burn Cars, however, its 7 gigs and would like to burn the movie onto two 4 gig disks to save myself money “8 gig dual layer disks are expensive”

What’s the best way to do this?

The best and most convenient way in my opinion is to use a combination of Slysofts AnyDVD (to remove all the protections from the DVD) and Slysofts CloneDVD.

CloneDVD will let you remove all the unneeded audio streams from the disk (i.e German, French Tracks) to save space and possibly allow you to back up the disk without splitting.

You can then after this either compress the movie to fit on a 4 Gig disk, or chose to split it between the two disks.

Hope this helps
Anthony.

This all depends on what you want from your movie.

Do you want to have a 1:1 copy and split it between 2 disks?

Do you want to make adjustments and fit it on one disk?

:cool: :cool:

Actually going with Anthony1uk is a good way to go but remember the compression you will loose some image quality but if you willing to live with full menus on the compressed media that is one way to go. But also as stated by platinumsword going 1:1 will give you exact duplication as the original media with no loss in image quality-but that media requires DL media.

Do you want the “best” quality or something more convenient? Anthony gave one perfectly valid solution, but there are others that don’t cost anything.

RipIt4Me can decrypt, rip and shrink your movie to fit a dvdr disk—at no cost to you. Quality would be equal to that of AnyDVD + CloneDVD. You might want to adjust some settings, main movie only for example, but you should read the guides for RipIt4Me to find all the variables.

If you want the absolute best quality, that means splitting to two disks, or burning to dual layer (which you have already ruled out). DVDShrink can easily split a dvd to two disks in reauthor mode. Use RipIt4Me to get the dvd on the hard drive with NO compression, then split it with Shrink. Pretty easy to do. There is a guide for this procedure over at mrbass.org

And here is a compromise solution. Use RipIt4Me to decrypt to the hard drive with no compression, then use DVDRebuilder (free version) to reencode the movie, or parts of the movie that you want. Using the HC encoder that is included with the program, you get a slightly better result than you get with transcoders like Shrink or CloneDVD, especially on large dvds. The only downside is the length of time it takes to run this program. I normally let it run overnight while I sleep, so this isn’t a problem for me, but it is inconvenient for some.

This would be about the same suggestions I would give. You can split with something like DVD Shrink in Re-author mode if you’d like, or you can compress it with DVD Shrink or DVD Rebuilder. What I sometimes do to split a disc is ‘still frame’ about half of a disc, then still frame the other half for the other disc in DVD Shrink. For example, with many discs you can retain the menu, do a 1:1 copy of the main film (remove foreign language tracks), and still frame all extras. Then create a second disc where you have everything 1:1 with no compression EXCEPT the main film, which you can still frame or replace with a still image. If you’re unfamiliar with DVD Shrink, you won’t understand what I’m talking about, but there are plenty of tutorials for DVD Shrink on the internet and it’s actually a very easy program to use after trying it out for a few minutes.

The free way to split the DVD would be to use Ripit4Me to get it to your HDD then use VobBlanker to split the DVD9 to 2 DVD5s. You could put the movie on 1 DVD5 (use DVDShrink to compress it and take out any unwanted languages if need or you want to). Then put the extras on the other DVD. You’ll have all the menus on both DVDs, on the first DVD the extras won’t run and on the second DVD the movie won’t run.

I just want to be able to take an 7.6 gigabyte movie and make it fit onto two 4.7 gigabyte dvd’s so that I don’t have to spend the extra money on a dual layer disk.