Split DVD in 2 using IFOedit?

vbimport

Hey everyone,

I haven’t been on here in a while.

Anyway, I’m trying to split a DVD in 2 using a guide at Doom9. It’s not a guide in the guides section, but its written by a member of 2Cool. I am going to post the link to that guide.

My questions as I seen so far are on steps 4, and 14. On step 4, how do I backup my IFO? Does he mean as backup as in copy/paste all my IFOs to the IFO Sub-folder?

On step 14, this is the part I really have no clue on, but its really basic questions. What files am I copying to the Disc 1, and Disc 2 folders to get the split to work? I know when I test it in VLC media player, and its rejecting to take my movie by returning a assertion failed error? I use VLC v2.0.4.

Thank you everyone,

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53458

Good luck on finding anyone who knows this tool. Its reputation was that it had a high degree of difficulty even for those who used it regularly.

PGCEdit became the tool of choice for those who actually want to dig into the structure of dvds.

Is there a particular reason why you want to use this tool for splitting a dvd? If you have DVDFab, this is one of the tools included. If you don’t have it, you could use the trial. Here is the guide.

It is also possible to split a dvd with DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode.

If you have to use IFOEdit, I would suggest asking for advice over at videohelp.com, as there [I]might[/I] be someone left there who has used it. Or you can wait till Wombler wanders in here and tells you how to do it with PGCEdit. :bigsmile:

Yeah, DVD shrink would be the easiest, it is freeware.

You could use free section of DVDfab…markin chapter 1 to an approx halfway point chapter. Then resume by reopening dvdfab and pick up from the first run markin chapter and then go to end of disc.

I tried that a couple of times…that is splitting over 2 dvds…I didn’t like it simply because movie wasn’t all together.

So now I either use dvdshrink to make it fit one disc or use dual layer discs.

There are other ways as well to split dvd…some payware and some freeware.
It is according to what you want to accomplish.

Thank you for the replies. No special reasons why I want to use IFOedit, or PGCedit for splitting in 2. I just want to try something different. Would there be any guides/tutorials on PGCedit since I’m guessing that person isn’t available right now?

Off topic: Someone sent me a friend request, and I don’t know the person, and I don’t even use forum friend list, so it’s going to be pending for a while, or I’ll deny it right away. I seen the email notification.

I wrote a guide for putting a DVDFab split back together .
It’s a lot more complex than splitting .
You might find it interesting .

Also the member 2cool that did the guide in your link actually wrote the “Vob Extras” for IFOEdit & maybe more .

I’m not even sure it [B]can[/B] be done in PGCEdit php111. I’m not a fan of working in dvd structures, and would rather work with the elemental streams personally. I was mostly taking a small dig at Wombler. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2667981]I wrote a guide for putting a DVDFab split back together .
It’s a lot more complex than splitting .
You might find it interesting .

Also the member 2cool that did the guide in your link actually wrote the “Vob Extras” for IFOEdit & maybe more .[/QUOTE]

Hi cholla,

Thank you for the link! Are you able to answer my original questions with IFOedit in regards to steps 4, and 14?

Another way to split a DVD into two discs - is to use DVDFAB 0.17.0 [485KB] released July 11, 2003 that is freeware and pretty easy to do what you want.

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdfab/

Hi php111 , I will try to answer your questions. The guide at doom9 is a bit confusing . It is also somewhat specific to the movie Matrix.

For #4 Yes it tells you to copy/paste all IFOs to the IFO Sub-folder.
This will usually work without corrupting them but sometime Windows does corrupt .vob files when copying & pasting . Not always.

For #14 Sub-folder “Disk 2”, copy all VTS_01_. files from your “Matrix” folder .
I think this would contain the “Menu” & maybe “Special Effects” .

For “Disk 1” folder, to save space, we’ll just drag the following files from your “Matrix” folder.The VTS_01_. & VTS_03_. This would be the “Menu” again & the main movie .

This is so you have the menu on both discs but “Disk 2" should autostart. If I understand correctly .

I haven’t done this with IFOEdit so I’m not completely sure but that’s my interpretation.

The link Gummigutta posted for the older free version of DVDFab would probably work . I haven’t used it but it is my opinion it would work. It would be easier too.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2667982]I’m not even sure it [B]can[/B] be done in PGCEdit php111. I’m not a fan of working in dvd structures, and would rather work with the elemental streams personally. I was mostly taking a small dig at Wombler. :)[/QUOTE]

:p:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=php111;2667979]Thank you for the replies. No special reasons why I want to use IFOedit, or PGCedit for splitting in 2. I just want to try something different. Would there be any guides/tutorials on PGCedit since I’m guessing that person isn’t available right now?

Off topic: Someone sent me a friend request, and I don’t know the person, and I don’t even use forum friend list, so it’s going to be pending for a while, or I’ll deny it right away. I seen the email notification.[/QUOTE]

It can be done in PgcEdit but most people use the easiest, most automated, route to do these sorts of things so I don’t think you’ll find a dedicated guide.

All you have to do is blank an appropriate number of cells in the main movie then do the opposite for disc two.

If required, you can produce two discs with fully functioning menus using this method, or alternatively you can blank everything else and go for the simpler movie only copy.

If you do go down the full menu route you may want to go a bit further and edit chapter selection menus for example or other menus to tie in with the revised disc content.

Stuff like this can be very interesting though and would give you further opportunity to experiment if that’s what you’re after.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It can be done in PgcEdit but most people use the easiest, most automated, route to do these sorts of things so I don’t think you’ll find a dedicated guide.

All you have to do is blank an appropriate number of cells in the main movie then do the opposite for disc two.

If required, you can produce two discs with fully functioning menus using this method, or alternatively you can blank everything else and go for the simpler movie only copy.

If you do go down the full menu route you may want to go a bit further and edit chapter selection menus for example or other menus to tie in with the revised disc content.

Stuff like this can be very interesting though and would give you further opportunity to experiment if that’s what you’re after.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I’m not really understanding how to do this in PGCEdit. How do I blank cells? What number are you talking about like how many am I blanking? What do mean by I do the opposite for disc 2? Will you please tell me how this could be done in step by step terms?

[QUOTE=php111;2668032]I’m not really understanding how to do this in PGCEdit. How do I blank cells? What number are you talking about like how many am I blanking? What do mean by I do the opposite for disc 2? Will you please tell me how this could be done in step by step terms?[/QUOTE]

For disc one you take the full disc and remove enough cells from the second part of the movie to enable it to fit onto a DVD-5.

For disc two you carry out a similar but opposite process in that you take the full disc and remove the cells from the first part of the movie that you’ve left on disc one.

You’d need to be familiar with PgcEdit before even starting to tackle something as involved as this as it’s complicated but very powerful software.

Have a look at these instructions for the PGC Editor which is the component in PgcEdit that you’d need to use to do this and you’ll see what I mean.

Also every movie will be different so you’d need to understand what you’re doing and why to be able to know what to do in various scenarios.

This is way beyond the scope of a single guide so perhaps an easier method would be more appropriate.

Try this guide using VobBlanker.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi php111 , I may have a go at a different movie with IFOEdit & see if I can successfully split a DVD9 commercial movie following 2cool’s instructions .
Modifying them if necessary .

Since you took a look at the guide I posted for joining a split . You can see I used PGCedit for the Menu & angle work . Wombler was a big help for this.

If I’m correct you will lose the angles using the 2cool method of splitting a disc .
I will be testing the same movie I used in my guide because I know it has angle scenes. I will post the results.

Hi cholla! Thank you. I’ll be waiting for your results. I believe I don’t have angles, seamless branching because those are greyed out on my IFOedit. I do appreciate you are going to try it then help me with your results. Thank you again!

Unfortunately it was as I thought .
The instructions are specific to the movie “Matrix”.
When followed as exactly as possible with a different movie they do not work.
If you use IFOEdit you will need to determine how to do the same for each movie.
I’m sure some of the instructions can be applied generally but not exactly.
IMO with more modern programs I would use those.

I didn’t continue to try to split the movie I used . I’m sure with work I could but it’s specific instructions would apply only to it.

Could you try to split a movie, but keep it the same that would apply for all movies, so it’s not going to be related to one specific movie? If you was able to give successful instructions that would work on all movies then I’ll give it a try.

I will see what I can do .
I won’t eliminate items like the logo or FBI warnings because those are specific to each movie .
I’m not sure there will be a generic fix for the menus either.

I may try the VobBlanker guide Wombler posted also. It looked easier to use.

I didn’t try it because I don’t have the old DVDFab Gummigutta posted .
I think it would be the easiest free method.

If using VobBlanker, or PGCedit guides as Wombler posted, will I have quality lost?

[QUOTE=php111;2668092]If using VobBlanker, or PGCedit guides as Wombler posted, will I have quality lost?[/QUOTE]

Neither of those programs can encode/transcode (shrink) moviedata, so no.

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2668102]Neither of those programs can encode/transcode (shrink) moviedata, so no.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I’ll wait until he see’s what he can do.