[SPLIT] Blu-ray monopoly

vbimport

[QUOTE=zevia;2012694]If PS3 can’t read and GGW-H20N can’t burn, then… :sad:

Ok, among others, Panasonic standalone blu-ray recorder and Pioneer blu-ray drive will be released soon (summer 2008) with support to read/burn this media.[/QUOTE]Sorry i have to chuckle :bigsmile: Now that HD-DVD is dead…Blu-ray has the monopoly. Bad bad.

I don’t think it’s called monopoly since more than a couple dozen Consumer Electronic (CE) industries and manufacturers and Studios are competing.

[QUOTE=zevia;2012723]I don’t think it’s called monopoly since more than a couple dozen Consumer Electronic (CE) industries and manufacturers and Studios are competing.[/QUOTE]With what format? If there is only one format (Blu-ray) then it is a monopoly. If there is only Blu-ray then look out as they will make you buy new equipment every few years.

Hey Bob!

Is there any other format besides DVD for SD video?

No.

So, DVD is monopoly.

And it looks like you don’t have problem with that, right?

So, why do you have problem with Blu-ray?

[QUOTE=MozartMan;2012769]Hey Bob!

Is there any other format besides DVD for SD video?

No.

So, DVD is monopoly.

And it looks like you don’t have problem with that, right?

So, why do you have problem with Blu-ray?[/QUOTE]This is only the beginning.

[QUOTE=zevia;2012694]If PS3 can’t read and GGW-H20N can’t burn, then… :sad:

Ok, among others, Panasonic standalone blu-ray recorder and Pioneer blu-ray drive will be released soon (summer 2008) with support to read/burn this media.[/QUOTE]I have no problem with Blu-ray.

If there is only one format (Blu-ray) then it is a monopoly.

Blu-ray monopoly? The Blu-ray technology is available for the movie studios and CEs so there is no monopoly. And there is competition among themselves. Above that, DVD and HD Broadcast is the challenge for Blu-ray industries. The industries know these. With one format, more CE will enter the market means more competition and means better player features. They are now releasing new Blu-ray player 2.0 profiles. Sony and Panasonic to name a few and more CE will introduce new players with final profile soon. With one format, now fence sitters, people who have been waiting will jump in, demand will go up and it drives the competition with lower price. Basic economics.

Why some people still don’t get it is beyond me.

HD DVD is dead. Enjoy your player and movies while it last. But if you are thinking to keep watching in high definition, save your money for the blu format player and new upcoming movies in hidef (in blu) and think twice to invest on old movies in hd dvd. But if you stop here and whine all day long for your dead format, then you are just a fool format supporter and nothing to do with hidef in general. Get over it. Hidef is not just blu-ray and hd dvd players and movies. It’s a whole new world. The blank media, the readers, burners, the disc quality scan, file conversions between audio and video streams (m2ts, ts, mkv), burning and backup softwares and more!

[QUOTE=bourned;2012838][B]They are now releasing new Blu-ray player 2.0 profiles. [/B]Sony and Panasonic to name a few and more CE will introduce new players with final profile soon. With one format, now fence sitters, people who have been waiting will jump in, demand will go up and it drives the competition with lower price. Basic economics.[/QUOTE]yeah just another example.

Reminds me of an old Bob Dylan tune. They’ll stone you when…

Also i am not the creator of this thread…That was zevia’s doing. My comments were about the new media coming out that will not work with burners and players that are out now.

Why zevia split the thread i have no idea.

Now you’re diverting from your monopoly idea to new media that will not work with current burner and players. Playability is still a big IF and sure firmware updates are still a big IF with those Low to High LTH BD-R media.

Oh we didn’t buy those dvd burners every couple months so that we can get better support on new SL or DL discs? First generations only support up to 4x, and latest generations now up to 20x dvd burner and you don’t have one or two you say? You keep buying new dvd burners although the old one works. Same with blu-ray. Old 1.0 and 1.1 works playing ALL blu-ray movies. What’s the big deal if early adapters who bought profile 1.1 or even 1.0 upgrade to new blu-ray profile 2.0??

[QUOTE=bourned;2012867]Now you’re diverting from your monopoly idea to new media that will not work with current burner and players. Playability is still a big IF and sure firmware updates are still a big IF.

Oh we didn’t buy those dvd burners every couple months so that we can get better support on new SL or DL discs? First generations only support up to 4x, and latest generations now up to 20x dvd burner and you don’t have one or two you say? What’s the big deal if early adapters who bought profile 1.1 or even 1.0 upgrade to new blu-ray profile 2.0??[/QUOTE]Like i said i didn’t start this thread. *Notice the [SPLIT] :rolleyes: I’m not diverting anything. zevia split the thread.

Well i hope if for all the millions PS3 and older Blu-ray player/burners will be able to get a firmware fix for their players/burners. They ra ra sis boom ba’d go Blu-ray go and then now another format.

yeah if you want to spend the money each time is fine with me. Go Blu-ray…

At least with both HD-DVD and Blu-ray we had a choice…now we don’t. There for a monopoly. One format they can do what they want to to make you buy more electronics.

Simple economics. They will dictate what they want.

Hats off to whoever split the thread since your gong to drag off topic anyways with your narrow monopoly remarks.

You still don’t get it. :doh:

With two formats, it will not work. Studios need to press movies in both formats, more cost. CE companies need to manufacturer both players, more cost in production and R&D. Retailers need to sell both format, more space needed in their store and makes fence sitter confused which one to choose, low sale, less profit for them. Now with one format, everyone can go hidef faster and easier, no confusing war.

HD DVD players and movies is the lowest now but it’s this way because firesale clearing inventories. Even Discovery store put a fine print “All HD DVD sales are final”, no return. Go get them then and stick with your HD DVD format.

You don’t get it:
ok let me put it this way…What if you can only buy a Ford…What if you can only get your hair cut one certain way…Buy only Panasonic TV’s…Only Nokia cell phones…etc…

Now you will only be good to go with Blu-ray…

No competition means monopoly.

How old are you? Sorry your profile is incomplete.

I remember when Bell finally had to give up service to whomever for the no monopoly for telephones. Now you can choose from many companies.

Did Blu-ray monopoly and chose only Sony to sell them?

There’s plenty to choose from blu-ray: players, recorders, burners, media, movies and softwares. From LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sharp, Samsung, Philips, TDK, Warner, Paramount, Universal etc etc etc.

[QUOTE=bourned;2012900]Did Blu-ray monopoly and chose only Sony to sell them?
There’s plenty to choose from blu-ray: players, recorders, burners, media, movies and softwares. From LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sharp, Samsung, Philips, TDK, Warner, Paramount, Universal etc etc etc.[/quote]

It’s all the same format (Blu-ray) and no competition. Competition means lower prices.

Thank gawd i don’t have guru status anymore. I’m not a guru on the subject.

Low HD DVD price now is not due to competition. It’s dying format and business ditching them while people like you and hd dvd diehard still going to buy no matter what. If they wait a bit longer they will loose sale for the dead format and nobody will buy anymore. Get them while you can.

Bob, you don’t get it.

Car = transportation.

Cars made by:

Ford, GMC, Chrysler, Fiat, Volvo, Mazda, Toyota, etc.

[B]Competition between car manufacturers.[/B]

Blu-ray = media format.

Blu-ray made by:

LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sharp, Samsung, Philips, TDK, Warner, Paramount, Universal etc etc etc.

[B]Competition between Blu-ray manufacturers.[/B]

You still don’t get it?

[QUOTE=bourned;2012922]Low HD DVD price now is not due to competition. It’s dying format and business ditching them while people like you and hd dvd diehard still going to buy no matter what. If they wait a bit longer they will loose sale for the dead format and nobody will buy anymore. Get them while you can.[/QUOTE]Where did i say i was for one format? I have no money in anything YET :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=MozartMan;2012923]Bob, you don’t get it.

Car = transportation.

Cars made by:

Ford, GMC, Chrysler, Fiat, Volvo, Mazda, Toyota, etc.

Blu-ray = media format.

Blu-ray made by:

LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sharp, Samsung, Philips, TDK, Warner, Paramount, Universal etc etc etc.

You still don’t get it?[/QUOTE]
yeah i get what your saying but it’s still Blu-ray. One format no competition. It was more fun with 2 formats plus we had a choice.

One format no competition.
So you think with two formats ie HD DVD and Blu-ray, where they both go in natural business way (ie no firesale price) there will be more competition and benefit all of us? Back in early 2007, the A2 was $299 and the 1080p spec model was $500 and up, same with Blu-ray. Even early this year movie titles for HD DVD and Blu-ray are still MSRP 29.99 - 39.99.

So explain what is the benefit of two formats competition for consumers.

[QUOTE=bourned;2012939]So you think with two formats ie HD DVD and Blu-ray, where they both go in natural business way (ie no firesale price) there will be more competition and benefit all of us? Back in early 2007, the A2 was $299 and the 1080p spec model was $500 and up, same with Blu-ray. Even early this year movie titles for HD DVD and Blu-ray are still MSRP 29.99 - 39.99.

So explain what is the benefit of two formats competition for consumers.[/QUOTE]You have your ideas and i have mine. One format…just wait and see. You will be upgrading your equipment when a new version of Blu-ray comes out every now and then. They have the upper hand now. They will lead you around like a dog on a leash.

Just my own speculation. Cannot i have an opinion here guys/gals?

People seem to be missing the fact of the exorbitant licensing fees that are being paid to Sony and the BD consortium for every player and movie that’s made. It’s through this fee that Sony is controlling prices. Make no mistake, when you buy a BD disc or player a big chunk of your $ is going straight to Sony. They control the player, the discs and even the content itself to some extent. That’s 3 levels of profit from the format.

Yes, it’s clearly monopolistic behavior, but it’s also legal. Monopolies are not illegal, or even wrong. It’s when they behave like a monopoly that the trouble starts and laws are broken. But if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck… guess what? Until the fees are reduced, BD can never become a mass-media format like DVD is. You’ll never see $50 generic players in K-Mart, or $5 3rd-tier movies either, because the licensing fees don’t allow it.

What we really need are $10 30GB flash memory cards that will hold a HD movie. That separates the content from the media and even the player, so true competition can occur. Anyone could make the cards or the players. But don’t look for Sony to be selling it.