Spin-X CD-Rs

vbimport

I was wondering if anyone knows about the long-term longevity of Spin-X CD-Rs. They appear unbranded, and they are rated at 40x. Here’s the ATIP, read with the SmartBurn utility on my Benq 4824P.

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 26s 66f
Norminal Capacity = 702.82MB (79m 59s 71f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = CMC,Imation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X

The writing quality actually seems very reasonable on my Benq 4824P at 48x CAV.

Thanks in advance!

I have a couple that have been in my car for about a year, and several more that failed. They are pretty fragile i think, due to the lack of a back coating.

Thanks, rdgrimes!

I get varied results with these. Some get C2 errors, some don’t (I burned one the other day which didn’t have a lot of C1 errors compared to other CMCs!) Not as consistent as some other CMC discs such as Imation and Memorex. And some appear to have small defects on the top (like some Optimum discs I had.) I think Spin-X is actually owned by Imation. Spin-X probably sells the lower-quality CD-Rs from CMC’s production (although CMC isn’t really high-quality.) But not really bad for free after rebate from OfficeMax.

Originally posted by scottmso
And some appear to have small defects on the top (like some Optimum discs I had.)

Interesting that you mention defects on the top. I haven’t seen any of these with my Spin-X discs, but I did see this on some 16x Imation discs a little more than a year ago.

Question: If there is no coating, How do you know which side is top or bottom. The Spin-X CD-R 80min 700mb discs I have have no brand name and seem to work as well on either side. Once burned, however, they will only read or write on the side originally burned on.

Ignorant and proud of it,
Rog Dog

Maybe you just had luck that you always put the right side in your drive.
You can tell by the color. As these are phthalocyanine discs, the top side is the silverish side and the bottom side is the side which is slightly green or yellowish.

Is it April Fools Day already?