Spikes 'n' coasters

youre absolutly right, but you must remember that its nnot going to work like the original 8x in terms of burn quality. But it should give you reasonable results with some tweaking!

Here’s a scan with a Ricohjpnr01 (rebranded as Sony certified for 4x burnings) burned @8x. Very good result but there’s also here a spike. (altough very low if we consider the other scans I’ve posted before) :frowning:

I just made a speed test on the RICOHJPNR01 disc and i found that is unreadable at the spike point. :sad: :sad:

I think there’s nothing to do with the burning at 8x. Am I right Codeking? :sad:

See here:

It seems that for certain _51S drive units (this happens only for certain _51S drives, not all) using certain pieces of media (this does not happen with all media), the drive’s linking accuracy (ability to pause a burn during a shift or recalibrate) towards the end of the disc is not good enough and can cause a PIF spike that results in an unrecoverable error.

This is why a warning about not using FRC or FFB unless necessary was added to OP several versions ago. So far, there hasn’t been many reports of this unrecoverable PIF spike problem, but it’s better safe than sorry: don’t use FFB unless you have an error mountain problem to solve.

Code65536 the fact is that I didn’t activated those option with Omnipatcher…I just took your modified firmware for 451S and then I applied only the recommended media changes and activated the bit-setting feature. Nothing else!

Another thing is that I got the spikes with all the media I’ve tried so far when burned at 8x (Philips, DAXONAZ2, CMC and RICOHJPNR01).

This probably isn’t it, but it might be worth considering… I find that a lot of times, even if you buy blanks in spindles, that you get little particles of dust on the recording surface. I started using compressed air to blast the surface of my blanks before every burn, and it has cut down on the random spikes. However, it may just be that your burner/media combination doesn’t like 8x. I use RICOHJPNR01’s and burn at 6x, cause I was getting issues with PIFs raising above 4 in certain areas.

I can assure you that before burning I watch the disc in order to be sure they are clean.

Anyway I’ll try to see what happens at 6x…if it goes good I’ll stick with it.

It’s just too much of a coincidence that the error is at 3.85GB which is exactly where the fallback occurs. One of the version of OP left the fallback enabled on RICOHJPNR01. Which version of OP did you use?

I am convinced that you will be able to burn these Sony discs at 8x without spikes, if fallback is disabled. Download the latest version of OP v1.3.8 and the firmware. Apply the recommended tweaks and the force-shift only. Then flash the drive. Try another Sony disc. I think you will be very pleased with the result. :slight_smile:

I say you one more thing: on the other discs the unrecoverable error was approximately at the point where the speed increases from 6x to 8x!

Look here: http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=643960&postcount=1

and

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=643960&postcount=8

The error is NOT at the same point BUT approximately in the shift zone.

One of the version of OP left the fallback enabled on RICOHJPNR01. Which version of OP did you use? One of the version of OP left the fallback enabled on RICOHJPNR01. Which version of OP did you use? I am convinced that you will be able to burn these Sony discs at 8x without spikes, if fallback is disabled. Download the latest version of OP v1.3.8 and the firmware. Apply the recommended tweaks and the force-shift only. Then flash the drive. Try another Sony disc. I think you will be very pleased with the result. :slight_smile:

I used the latest OP version (1.3.8) and applied only the media tweak and the bitsetting feature.

Tomorrow I’ll go to the shop, I’ll buy another sony disc and then I’ll burn it with the OP settings you’ve suggested to me.

Anyway I’ve one question: why the fall-back causes that spike?

And is it probable that force-shifting also will help me to burn other medias such as Philips or Daxonaz2 correctly?

Sorry, I got called away just after posting. When I came back I realized that if force-shift is not enabled, then RICOHJPNR01 will always fallback. So the cause of the fallback was that you applied the tweaks (which made R01 burn at 8x) but did not select force-shift, which disables fallback, for R01, and improves the burn time and quality.

Anyway I’ve one question: why the fallback causes that spike?

Is it possible that this fallback is causing the spikes also with the other medias??

No. Fallback only occurs on 4 +R media types. Your other media is not one of them. And if it does cause a spike, it will always be at the 3.85GB point.

Also note that force-shift only disables fallback on the R01 media. This will probably change though, in the next version of OP.

Ok Code, so I will have to wait for a new Sony test, right? At least until Op will be upgraded :slight_smile:

Anyway what about this: on the other discs, the unrecoverable error was approximately at the point where the speed increases from 6x to 8x!

Look here: http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=643960&postcount=1

and here: http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=644209&postcount=8

The error is NOT at the same point BUT approximately in the shift zone. Very strange!

No you can use the current OP but make sure force-shift is enabled.

Anyway what about this: on the other discs, the unrecoverable error was approximately at the point where the speed increases from 6x to 8x!

The error is NOT at the same point BUT approximately in the shift zone. Very strange!

I think this particular media just does not like burning at 8x in your drive. You must remember that you are overclocking the media as well as the drive. Some media and drive combinations just don’t work. But as you can see, the RICOHJPNR01, which is a favourite for LiteOn drives, is going to work fine. You would probably find that Verbatim MCC002 would work fine as well…

Force-shift should eliminate the fallback for Ricoh R01 (unless you override that with force-fallback). The official LiteOn firmware will do a fallback for Ricoh R01, which is why you’ll need to use force-shift to override that…

Got ya, yeah that’s a difference for sure with three different brands.

Try doing a kprobe scan of a pressed retail disc, and scanning the same -R disc several times and see if the spikes move. Might be a reading glitch.

As I’ve said before I’m sure it’s not a glitch because where the spike is i got an unrecoverable read error. :frowning:

This is the last test I’ve made at 8x.

I used a firmware patched with “force-shifting” and then I burnt a RICOHJPNR01.

Here are the results.

As you can see there is a little spike (passage from 6x to 8x) but it is not enough to make an unrecoverable read error.

Anyway I think I’ll use burn-speeds max. at 6x in the future. It’s safer for my dvds and for my pocket :slight_smile: