Speling and other misc stuff

vbimport

#1

<<< http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=271495#post271495 <<<

TahjEss

:wink:


#2

The “s” is really pronounced?


#3

Yesss :bigsmile:

Mandatory if you have an accent on the e before the s…


#4

> Mandatory if you have an accent on the e before the s…

Even if it gets off-topic (no: it is already off-topic): Feel free to move it…

Which accents do you speak of? You don’t pronounce the last s in “ils sont allés”, or is there something that my french teacher doesn’t know? Or do you only speak of nouns? In plural forms, such as “des clés”, the last s isn’t spoken either, or am I wrong?

And for “succès”, my dictionary also says that the last s isn’t pronounced…

==> ???


#5

Perhaps a little social engineering at Thales might give us the patent number (they claim the first step is a patented process , so therefore public).


#6

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
Perhaps a little social engineering at Thales might give us the patent number (they claim the first step is a patented process , so therefore public).

:confused:

We are talking about Tagès and about French pronounciation… You are talking about Thales/Holland Signaal, the inventor/developper of the goalkeeper weaponsystem…

:confused:


#7

Originally posted by alexnoe
In plural forms, such as “des clés”, the last s isn’t spoken either, or am I wrong?

You’re not wrong. ‘s’ aren’t spoken. They’re just here to mark the plural form.

And for “succès”, my dictionary also says that the last s isn’t pronounced…

Same thing whether it is ‘é’ or ‘è’ before the ‘s’, and either it is a plural form or not : generically the ‘s’ isnt’ pronounced.

BUT (because there is always a ‘but’ and because each rule has it’s exception in french language) Tagès is pronounced like 83bj60 wrote it : with emphasis on the final ‘s’. By the way it’s the same for Thalès.


#8

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]> Mandatory if you have an accent on the e before the s…

Even if it gets off-topic (no: it is already off-topic): Feel free to move it…

Which accents do you speak of? You don’t pronounce the last s in “ils sont allés”, or is there something that my french teacher doesn’t know? Or do you only speak of nouns? In plural forms, such as “des clés”, the last s isn’t spoken either, or am I wrong?

And for “succès”, my dictionary also says that the last s isn’t pronounced…

==> ??? [/B]

Oops! :o Grammar was never my strong subject… You are absolutely right, got me there, alexnoe! Wrong explanation from my part!!! :bigsmile:


#9

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

:confused:

We are talking about Tagès and about French pronounciation… You are talking about Thales/Holland Signaal, the inventor/developper of the goalkeeper weaponsystem…

:confused: [/B]

Oh wait , wrong thread. Sowwie :bigsmile:


#10

In french, the ‘s’ is not pronounced if its at the end of a word. (in most cases anyway)

I cant even recall any word that ends with an ‘s’ that you pronounce, and my first language is french. (its 8:25am and I am not in bed yet)