Speeding up disk read

Hi guys
I have searched thru the forums and do not seem to be able to find any help on this.
Sometimes when reading the disk the different proggies can take up to 4 hours. Is this normal or are my settings wrong??
Proggies include DiscDump, BlindRead, Alcohol 120%. CloneCD and Burnatonce
Thanx guys

Sounds like your trying to read safedisc or, worse, laserlock protected cds with a rom that doesn’t handle errors all that well.

However, whether the times are normal really depends on which cd you’re trying to read and what you’re using as your reader.

Care to let us know? :wink: (And let us know the read times with specific software for specific cds.)

samsung dvd-rom sd-616t
and games such as links 2003, ironstorm,fifa 2003, operation flashpoint, mohaa and star wars jedi outcast.
All but fifa 2003 and operation flashpoint were done using discdump. These 2 were done with blind write suite 4.2.2.12

read times for fifa 2003 2,5 hours with blindwrite suite4.
op flashpoint was even longerbut that I understand with fadedisk security.
With discdumo I’m reading links 2003 and have been at it since 11 this morning making it 2,5 hours and only 1% done

try using daemon tools fastdump feature - which has worked for me in the past. clone cd has a fast error skip feature which also should do the trick. searching for either feature on the forum should give you a better understanding of how to use them, but both come pretty well documented with the software.

Originally posted by joe_blow
samsung dvd-rom sd-616t
and games such as links 2003, ironstorm,fifa 2003, operation flashpoint, mohaa and star wars jedi outcast.
All but fifa 2003 and operation flashpoint were done using discdump. These 2 were done with blind write suite 4.2.2.12

All of these games except star wars jedi outcast are safedisc protected (well, depending where you live, ironstorm may have laserlock but that’s slower still). Star Wars Jedi Outcast is unprotected so it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to read that cd and you can just copy it on-the-fly with nero or an equivalent anyway.

As for the others, do you have dma enabled for your dvd? If not, then enable it as this will speed things up considerably.

You could also try reading with your writer. I recall from your other posts that you have one capable of handling sd 2.8x and I suspect that you’ll find it dumps images of safedisc protected cds much faster than your dvd.

Thanx for the help guys. But now for one really dumb question. How do I check wether the DMA is checked or not

Open the device manager, scroll down to your IDE-controller, select the IDE channel your reader is on, right click and select properties.
Then go to the Advanced settings tab

Of course Airhead thanx done that already, had just forgotten how it was done:confused: