Speed Issues with BDR-205

vbimport

I received this drive yesterday. I have two Western Digital VelociRaptors in RAID 0 on SATA 0 and SATA 1. On SATA 2 is my Samsung SH-S223Q and on SATA 3 is the Pioneer BD-R drive. With RAID enabled…all my ports are controlled by RAID and the Intel RAID drivers…including my Optical Drives (on X58 chipset motherboard with i7 920)…and in AHCI mode. Now on to the issue. When using Nero DiscSpeed 4.7.7.16 or the latest 5.4 that comes with Nero 9, I try to run benchmarks for both burning and reading. When I buen a Maxell (4X) BD-R…Discspeed says it should burn at 10X…however…I get really bad looking curves, etc…and the burn never exceeds 3x. When I read a BD-R or evan as I type, I am reading a BD-ROM DL…supposed to read at 8x…beginning in the 3x range…and what I get is a beginning speed of 2.5 and the drive never gets faster than 6.2X. Now I am caused for concern excent ONE thing. When I rip a movie down to 25 GB and burn using Nero 9.4.26.0 or even NeroVision…I get a 10X burn. I can burn 23.5 GB in 11:18 without breaking a sweat. So I called Pioneer and they found it odd. So the tech had me download the DVDInfoPro and benchmark with that. Same results as Nero DiscSpeed.

Does anyone have any clue what could be happening here. All my RAID drivers are up to date. I am using the latest intel chopset software for my EVGA E758 board as well. I am getting correct speeds when I use the actual programs…for I watch and monitor and see the actual burn speeds…with the Maxells and even Verbatim 4X, I can see it start in the 4X range and build all the way to 9.9x. Total burn times average 10L45 to 11:30 depending on how much data I burn to the BD-R.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

Bob

One last thought to share. I burn CD’s at 40X with no problems and DVD+ and DVD-R at 16X with no problems using Nero DiscSpeed. It’s just a mess with Blu Ray.

some system specs might be helpful:

EVGA E758 Motherboard with Intel i7 920
6 GB of Corsair Dominator PC-1600 DDR3
Not overclocked
Two Western Digital 300 GB VelociRaptors in RAID 0
Samsung SH-S223Q on SATA 2
Pioneer BDR-205-BK with Firmware 1.03 in SATA 3
Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Watt PSU
EVGA GTX260 OC

I am using the Intel SATA ports on the board.

Figured I would add additonal info. Just burned a FULL BD25 using Roxio Creator 2010 Pro that includes Blu Ray…and a full burn with only 50 mb left free finished in 11:12. I just don’t understand why benchmark programs don’t work with this drive. Wonder if it is the new firmware???

[QUOTE=bobmitch;2475642]When using Nero DiscSpeed 4.7.7.16 or the latest 5.4 that comes with Nero 9, I try to run benchmarks for both burning and reading. When I buen a Maxell (4X) BD-R…Discspeed says it should burn at 10X…however…I get really bad looking curves, etc…[B]and the burn never exceeds 3x.[/B] [/QUOTE]In DiscSpeed, there is an option that you can tick so that you will get full speed.
Options > Transfer Rate > Streaming (check this).

If you get full reading and writing speed with your softwares, I would ignore the benchmarking tool for now.

You are correct!!! All good now…clicking on streaming made a big difference…

Happy Holidays

Bob