Speed-hacking cd/cdrw speeds?

Greetings,

does anyone have any knowledge of how can it be done? I’d like to do it for both my LTR-48246K and LDW-811s. One reason is that I have some Fuji 52x discs, which LTR- only allows to be burned at 16x, while LDW at 32x - I’d like to increase that.

Another reason, is that I have quite some Memorex Ultra Speed cd-rws, which can’t be burned without errors at all, neither at 10x, nor 16x, nor 24x - so maybe it would be possible to allow lower limits for them aswell (I know this sounds fishy, them being ultra speed and stuff, but still).

Ideas?

Originally posted by QQuxa
[B]Greetings,

does anyone have any knowledge of how can it be done? I’d like to do it for both my LTR-48246K and LDW-811s. One reason is that I have some Fuji 52x discs, which LTR- only allows to be burned at 16x, while LDW at 32x - I’d like to increase that.

Another reason, is that I have quite some Memorex Ultra Speed cd-rws, which can’t be burned without errors at all, neither at 10x, nor 16x, nor 24x - so maybe it would be possible to allow lower limits for them aswell (I know this sounds fishy, them being ultra speed and stuff, but still).

Ideas? [/B]

Try disabling SMART-BURN.

Speedhacking is for DVD discs only.

You are contradicting yourself… smart-burn is firmware stuff, which stores recording speed for different media in firmware. So speed-hacking IS also for cd burning.

Besides, I still can’t choose speeds lower than 10x for ultra speed cdrws, even with Smart Burn disabled…

You are contradicting yourself… smart-burn is firmware stuff, which stores recording speed for different media in firmware. So speed-hacking IS also for cd burning.

if you disable smartburn you can burn at top speed in the drive but you will probably find that the discs are not burning very well.

in dvd you cannot change burn speed by disabling smartburn.

Besides, I still can’t choose speeds lower than 10x for ultra speed cdrws, even with Smart Burn disabled…

Heh, if you want to burn at 10x, then do not use Ultra Speed discs. Ultra speed discs are NOT made to burn at slow speeds.

of course they are not meant to be burned at slow speeds - that’s why i mentioned “hacking” in the first place!

my problem is that i cant burn them at high speeds - they come out with errors. thus, i want (at my own risk) to try and burn them at slower speeds than 10x.

[B]of course they are not meant to be burned at slow speeds - that’s why i mentioned “hacking” in the first place!

my problem is that i cant burn them at high speeds - they come out with errors. thus, i want (at my own risk) to try and burn them at slower speeds than 10x. [/B]

I haven’t the faintest idea where info about CDs are stored in the FW. DVD codes are easy to find–they’re all plaintext. But this isn’t so easy for CDs. It might just be that the only way to find it would be to examine the FW very closely (maybe disasm the firmware and figure out what where its getting its data from), which is a lot of work for something that probably won’t work too well.

You are probably right.

We could, of course, try to look for atip values, but I guess there would be way too many matches…