Speech recognition hiccups

vbimport

After my phone updated itself to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, I went to check what’s new with this Jelly Bean version and one thing I noticed is improved speech recognition, a feature I never knew it had, let alone tried until now.

I started with saying “This is a test message, testing 123” and that’s exactly what appeared on the screen.

With a good looking start, I picked a random line I saw on the Android 4.1 features page and spoke the following line:

With Jelly Bean, blind users can use ‘Gesture Mode’ to reliably navigate the UI using touch and swipe gestures.

This is what came up on my phone:

Jelly bean lancaster can you get your bored flybe navigate using touch and type test strips

Somehow, I think there’s still room for improvement. :bigsmile:

Here’s one I have a Moshi alarm clock . It pretty cool but has a hard time understanding me sometimes. I think it was designed to understand English & not Texan .
To activate the speech mode you are supposed to say “Hello Moshi” which works a lot of the time . On a day it wasn’t working I was getting frustrate So I said “Hello dog shit” It worked & I’ve been using that ever since. I guess it’s a backdoor vocal.

I like the clock because it is dark at night unless you activate it. Then dark again in about 10 seconds. It tells you the time & other things when asked with the correct vocal commands . Audibly as well as visually.

[QUOTE=Seán;2655696]After my phone updated itself to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, I went to check what’s new with this Jelly Bean version and one thing I noticed is improved speech recognition, a feature I never knew it had, let alone tried until now.

I started with saying “This is a test message, testing 123” and that’s exactly what appeared on the screen.

With a good looking start, I picked a random line I saw on the Android 4.1 features page and spoke the following line:

This is what came up on my phone:

Somehow, I think there’s still room for improvement. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

LOL, Siri on the iPhone is quite funny if you ask it the right questions.

I was sceptical of the Apple advert (that has since been banned here in the UK for being misleading) and wanted to test if it had any deductive capability so I started asking it questions such as ‘Who is the Prime Minister?’

The idea being to see if it was clever enough to know that (a) the phone was currently located in the UK and (b) the UK Prime Minister is David Cameron. No such joy as it just offers to do a Google search for the stuff it doesn’t understand.

This started me thinking of amusing questions though.

So I asked it ‘Why did the chicken cross the road?’ and it came back with ‘The peregrinations of pusillanimous poultry are not my concern’. :bigsmile:

At one point my friend couldn’t get it to recognise a question and jokingly yelled into the phone ‘Are you stupid?’.

And the phone came back with ‘Well I was only trying to help’. :slight_smile:

Oh and ‘What is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything?’ returned ‘42’ so there are obviously a few Douglas Adams fans at Apple. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2655705]LOL, Siri on the iPhone is quite funny if you ask it the right questions.[/QUOTE] Have you ever met Siri…and were you speechless? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2655705]
This started me thinking of amusing questions though.

So I asked it ‘Why did the chicken cross the road?’ and it came back with ‘The peregrinations of pusillanimous poultry are not my concern’. :bigsmile:[/quote]

Snotty little beggar, isn’t it LOL :eek:…I can just imagine a stroppy voice!

At one point my friend couldn’t get it to recognise a question and jokingly yelled into the phone ‘Are you stupid?’.

And the phone came back with ‘Well I was only trying to help’. :slight_smile:

LOL!! I think it;s feelings got hurt :eek:

@cholla - “hello dogshit”, brilliant :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2655716]Have you ever met Siri…and were you speechless? :p[/QUOTE]

Brilliant, I like that one! :clap::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2655705]LOL, Siri on the iPhone is quite funny if you ask it the right questions.

Oh and ‘What is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything?’ returned ‘42’ so there are obviously a few Douglas Adams fans at Apple. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
:clap::clap:

LOL…I love that.

This is a link to the Moshi clock . It is an interactive demo.
Still no mention of the auxillary activation command “Hello dog shit” .
http://www.moshilifestyle.com/Product/VoiceControlAlarmClock