Spec's for ULTIMATE burner!?

Alright because of all the new features the manufacturers of CD-(re)writers are implementing (see link) in their drives I thought we maybe could make a list of which features the “ULTIMATE” burner should have (and maybe send it to a few manufacturers like: Plextor, Lite-On, Yamaha, SANYO, etc). You never know, maybe they listen to their customers!!

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4806

Maybe we could even make a Poll for it?

I had in mind the following features/ functions, but maybe you all now a few more:

• HD-Burn (Sanyo only at the moment or is Sony’s system the same?);
  • Fully correct EMF encoding (Lite-On only at the moment);
  • Mount Rainier support;
  • Reading corrupt TOC’s (for reading audio-protections! Correct me if I’m wrong);
  • Read speed 48 (52x?/56x?) Full-CAV (or P-CAV because you get a higher overall speed);
  • Multiple write speeds (1/2/4/8/10/12/16/20/24/32/40/44/48);
  • Multiple rewrite speeds (1/2/4/8/10/12/16/20/24/32?/40?/44?/48?);
  • Large buffer, at least 8 Mb or even 16 Mb like the Mitsumi’s (or even larger: 32/64/128 Mb alto the last two would be a bit overdue);
  • Advanced Audio Master Quality Recording function (write/rewrite speeds: 1/2/4/8/16?/32?) (Yamaha only at the moment);
  • CD-RW Audio Track Editing Mode function (Yamaha only at the moment);
  • DiscT@2 function (Yamaha only at the moment)
  • (Over)Burn to 99 minutes;
  • Buffer UnderRun protection (JustLink, Burn-Proof, Seamless Link, Smart-Burn, ExacLink any preference?);
  • Reading/writing CD-Text;
  • Reading(/writing?) video-CD, CD+G, C2 errors (all reported by the Nero InfoTool);
  • Ultra ATA 100/133 or Serial ATA 150 interface;
  • PoweRec function (Plextor only at the moment);
  • VariRec recording (write/rewrite speeds: 1/2/4/8/16?/32?) (Plextor only at the moment).

Please give your comments, questions, reactions and/or additions.

Should we make it a poll, to see what the visitors of this forum would like to see in their “ULTIMATE” burner?

[EDIT] fought = thought [EDIT]

- Fully correct EMF encoding (Lite-On only at the moment);

There are weak sectors not even LiteOns can write. Fortunately, such ones have not been used on SD2 cds yet…

There are weak sectors not even LiteOns can write. Fortunately, such ones have not been used on SD2 cds yet…

I heard something about that, but I didn’t knew if it was true.
Are those weak sectors also harder to implement?

Further any additions and or comments?

No, they are not harder to create. Everyone can create them at home :wink: All you need is the source code of the Mode2CDMaker.
I’ll run a test today with the 7AB9 pattern.

The problem with these sectors might be that some drives might not be able to read them from a pressed CD.
In this case, they are of course useless for copy protection. I can’t check this of course. The only thing I can check is if this pattern is burnable for my 40125W.

- Multiple write speeds (1/2/4/8/10/12/16/20/24/32/40/44/48)

Personally I like the Yamaha F1 write speeds. Only max. and a few low-speed CLV modes.
If the Optimum Writethingy/Powerrec/Justspeed or whatever does what it’s supposed to do then you can always burn at full speed without having to worry about the quality.
I have tested many drives and so far the Yamaha F1 implementation of this is the best.

- Multiple rewrite speeds (1/2/4/8/10/12/16/20/24/32?/40?/44?/48?)

I don’t think that’s really necessary because you can only burn a CD-RW at its rated speed.

- Large buffer, at least 8 Mb or even 16 Mb like the Mitsumi’s (or even larger: 32/64/128 Mb alto the last two would be a bit overdue)

A large buffer will increase the total write time because the recorder only starts writing after the buffer is completely filled.

But I agree on all other points :slight_smile:

The only thing I would also like to see is C1 error reporting.

The drive has failed. The 7AB9 pattern is not written correctly.

The drive has failed. The 7AB9 pattern is not written correctly.

Oké. So the 7AB9 pattern can’t be written by any writer, even not by the Lite-On’s (are you helping the copy-makers now!!)!

But isn’t it possible by another EFM-encoder (they could implement it for example in the new 6 chipset) in the writer to write this pattern.

What I mean is: at this moment the Lite-On’s CAN write weak patterns BETTER than any other burner, like Plex’s, Yamaha, etc.

So maybe it isn’t possible with the current Lite-On’s, but maybe it will be with the newer chipset or with another encoder.

At the moment some burners CAN and some CAN’T, so why shouldn’t this be the same with newer versions of weak sectors?

Hopefully you understand what I mean.

A large buffer will increase the total write time because the recorder only starts writing after the buffer is completely filled.

I agree, but when you’re doing more then only burning a CD (playing Unreal Tournament or something like that) at the same time (and that’s the time that normally the underrun protection is activated) and you have a large buffer then your burner doesn’t have to wait every time for information. So at that moment you will have less “links” and the burn time wil decrease (compared to a small buffer)!

What I mean is: at this moment the Lite-On’s CAN write weak patterns BETTER than any other burner, like Plex’s, Yamaha, etc.

The 7AB9 is one step harder than 1212/14B9, and if newer liteons can indeed write these ones, then this would mean 2 things:
(a) The safedisc makers have finally lost (or can anyone make up a harder one?)
(b) the new burners should be called 3-sheep-burners…

I haven’t yet tried if 7AB9 can be amplified, but as I still haven’t even made it to amplify easier ones, I will make this up to people who have more experience in this…

How about a generous 3 year warranty period on drives, particularly in this over supply time :wink:

How about a generous 3 year warranty period on drives, particularly in this over supply time

If I’m correct in Europe it’s still a 2-year garanty period.
But we can put it on the list.

No one else any comments or even additions??
Come on guys were here on one of the greatest/biggest forums and there should be many readers who know more usefull features (or did I mention them all?)!

Does anyone have the email-adress of the engineering-department of Plextor, Lite-On, Sanyo, Yamaha, Mitsumi, etc?

If I had it of Yamaha and Plextor, then I’d send them a theory why these writers fail with 1212 and 14B9 patterns…

Does this mean that you have them of Sanyo, Mitsumi and Lite-On?

And have you send them your theory why those writers fail with 1212 and 14B9 patterns (except for the Lite-On’s of course)?

Does this mean that you have them of Sanyo, Mitsumi and Lite-On?

No. But I don’t care about Sanyo and Mitsumi :slight_smile:

>Spec’s for ULTIMATE burner!!?
One that not only can handle safedisc 2 but also the latest version of securom. However, one that can cope with the latter doesn’t seem to exist. :frowning: