Specks on TY T02 printable from SVP

vbimport

Quite a while ago I ordered a few hundred T02’s from SVP. They’re the white printable version.

The first tubs I just finished and were very good and I cracked open a third today. I noticed that all discs, not just the top ones, have a write surface that looks like a night sky, if you hold them at an angle under a light. Hundreds and hundreds of tiny specks. If you breathe on them, you can see it very clearly.

If you try and wipe them, they smear a tiny bit, forming small lines, but they won’t come off. They don’t look white so I doubt it’s from the white surface from other discs or manufacturing. They look more like dust, but as I said, they don’t come off even when wiped.

Has anyone seen this before? Anyway of cleaning them? Can’t send them back as SVP no longer ships to Belgium so any replacements wouldn’t arrive.

Moomin

Hi Moomin

If these are faulty I can exchange them. Just email me on steve@svp.co.uk.

I can’t sell to Belgium due to some strange rules on taxes, but I can still do an exchange for faulty goods if necessary.

Steve
www.svp.co.uk

Thanks Steve, that’s good to hear. I don’t want to cry wolf just yet. I did some burns with them, and then scanned them. No real increase in error rates vs the old tubs.

So for now, just curious whta these specs are and if they’re a possible threat to longevity?

Moomin

Im sure steve will correct me if im wrong, (which i may well be) but i think SVP either have a supplier that store their media in a dusty enviroment or they have a dungeon like corner in their warehouse.

I had a similar issue about a year (maybe a bit more) back when i purchased a few hundred ritek 8x ice white non-printables from them, (by the way steve get rid of those horrid gold top riteks and bring back the ice whites that have vanished lol they were much better :wink: )

First few packs perfect, midway into them weird very fine dust like particles on SOME of the disks which were very difficult to shift. I did consider sending them back SVP are great with returns, dont have to chase them for a refund and no issues getting an RMA out of them (just how things should be).

Having a busted leg at the time though i did relish the possible prospect of wobbling to the post office. In the end i used a very soft cloth and a few drips of water on the few disks from the last few affected packs and carefully wiped them, wasnt perfect but did shift the specs and they burned fine. The disks burn quality have decayed a little since then (as most budget stuff does) but they still read back fine on my PC and dvd player.

I dont blame SVP or the supplier in any way, its just one of those things, i dont think they have a rogue pixie with pixie dust running around, be nice to know why it happens though.

I doubt storage has anything to do with it. They should be wrapped up and it should be impossible for dust to get in.

Anyways, depends how small these specs of dust are. If they are quite small and unmovable they should be ok. It’s probably just small defects in the actual plastic of the disc or something.

As long as they aren’t big, they should not affect burning.

[QUOTE=svp communication;2024433]Hi Moomin

If these are faulty I can exchange them. Just email me on steve@svp.co.uk.

I can’t sell to Belgium due to some strange rules on taxes, but I can still do an exchange for faulty goods if necessary.

Steve
www.svp.co.uk[/QUOTE]
wow i wish all the online sellers were like you Steve :clap:

[QUOTE=Bob;2024638]wow i wish all the online sellers were like you Steve :clap:[/QUOTE]

Yup. Despite a few flaws svp is still [B]the shop[/B]

I bought 3-4 spindles of T02 printable from svp and they were all top notch. The discs have been consistant but my writers have changed. Everything has been fine but it seems my current setup favors 16x discs so i stick to Verbatim 16x printable as 1. choice :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s dust since they smear when you try to wipe them off.

Tried isopropyl, doesn’t help. Little smearing then it seems they harden out and stay that way.

Weird stuff.

Moomin

[QUOTE=Moomin;2024939]I don’t think it’s dust since they smear when you try to wipe them off.

Tried isopropyl, doesn’t help. Little smearing then it seems they harden out and stay that way.

Weird stuff.

Moomin[/QUOTE]

Hmm strange then, only thing i could think is as you did maybe its part of the printable service… i do know some print surfaces are water soluble (normally the rougher rather than smoother white top disks) if it gets wet or any moisture it leaves a kinda flakey white residue, almost like very fine salt or sugar but stickier.

Either way good to see SVP are happy to replace as always :slight_smile: