Specific cases for burned DVDs?

I’ve been burning DVDs for almost a year now, and I know that I’m anything but an expert. Heck, I burn them, they work, what more do I need?

Well, I think I actually have an answer for that. I use MCC Verbatim disks for my burning and I’d love them to last as long as possible. My question boils down to this, are there specific types of cases that I should be using for burned DVD media?

I currently use 3 different forms of storage:

Clear, "slim: CD/DVD cases (I use these maybe 60% of the time with a printed insert slid into the front to identify the contents)

Paper CD/DVD envelopes with a clear, circular window on them. (I use these maybe 25% of the time. Nothing written on the envelope with the business side of the DVD facing away from the window)

Large (64-128 count) zippered CD wallets (Maybe 15% of the time and the case remains zippered)

My primary concern is UV light maybe effecting the disk surface. Is this something that I should even be concered with? If I’m going to use jewel cases, slim or not, should I use colored/tinted cases or even just old school black back cases? Should I avoid the paper envelopes for long term storage?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

i use proper dvd cases like what you buy dvd movies in. of course keep them out of sunlight, don’t bend them, dont store things on top of them just use common sense.
This question is just silly, but you got your answer as requested here

Read the article on the CDFREAKS front page from yesterday!

Although opinions vary on how to preserve data on digital storage media, such as optical CDs and DVDs, Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland GmbH, takes this view: If you want to avoid having to burn new CDs every few years, use magnetic tapes to store all your pictures, videos and songs for a lifetime. “Unlike pressed original CDs, burned CDs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD,” Gerecke said in an interview this week. “There are a few things you can do to extend the life of a burned CD, like keeping the disc in a cool, dark space, but not a whole lot more.”

The problem is material degradation. Optical discs commonly used for burning, such as CD-R and CD-RW, have a recording surface consisting of a layer of dye that can be modified by heat to store data. The degradation process can result in the data “shifting” on the surface and thus becoming unreadable to the laser beam. “Many of the cheap burnable CDs available at discount stores have a life span of around two years,” Gerecke said. “Some of the better-quality discs offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years.”

Distinguishing high-quality burnable CDs from low-quality discs is difficult, he said, because few vendors use life span as a selling point. To overcome the preservation limitations of burnable CDs, Gerecke suggests using magnetic tapes, which, he claims, can have a life span of 30 to 100 years, depending on their quality. “Even if magnetic tapes are also subject to degradation, they’re still the superior storage media,” he said. But he’s quick to point out that no storage medium lasts forever and, consequently, consumers and business alike need to have a plan for migrating to new storage technologies.

It seems when this was discussed in the past that there was not a particular kind of case that was beter. It was sugested to store them verticle though, as it reduces the ability of moisture to colect on the disk. Both light and moisture can reduce the life of disks. I have never had any problems with just room light effecting the disk, but then again, I use flouresent lighting which is suposed to be less damaging to dye than incandesent light.

I use the black plastic mini double DVD cases. (They are the same size as CD cases). Stored upright in a drawer.
The only time the disks see any light is when I play them.
An added bonus is that the hinge on the case is on a long side so I can get more identification on.

This thread made me laugh when I read it, but as we’re on the subject I thought I would ask how long (to the day) will a burned Datawrite 8x DVD-R last? I use my DVD’s as:

Frisbees 17% of the time,
Coasters to rest my mug of hot cocoa on 36% of the time,
Purple tinted mirrors to reflect light to parts of the room that’s in the shade 29% of the time,
For the remainding 18% the DVD is just stuffed in a drawer (without case or sleeve) where my 4 year old keeps his half eaten lolipops.

You shouldn’t store your dvd’s with half eaten lolipops. Chewed taffy or gum is ok but with lolipops you might poke your self on the sharp stick reaching for a dvd and severly injure yourself. I bet you didn’t know dvd storage could cause life threatening injuries if done improperlly, did you?

In other words, there is no good answer…though ripit’s answer was the most amusing to me…:slight_smile:

Personally I use rigid cd slims or the black vinyl dvd cases, but not sure the extend the long term life for any other reason than they are not in a case prone to scratch them readless.

paper jackets and cd/dvd wallets are just trouble my opinion, because the scratch the surface just by using them.

Just my opinion, it’s not humble…it just is…:slight_smile:

I have to agree, there really is no perfect way and while I have heard of people prefering various methods, the only real three constants you always here are avoid heat, exceesive light and humidity. various types of sleves are ok unless you get grit or dirt in them and then they can scratch. Most hard cases of various types including jewel cases are probably fine too. I even use spindles and havent had a problem.