Speakers for up to $1500

I wish I was rich like the rest of you, but I’m not so can anyone give me an idea of good speakers in this price range. I’ve heard the KEF’s are good but was wondering if JBL made any sets for this cheap. Looking for 5.1 set by the way and please no bose posts.

You mentioned the magic word. (JBL). Your price range does put some restrictions on you though. For a starter 5:1 setup, I’d look at the JBL Studio L series or the Venue series.

You can get 4x Studio L830 for about $600. Add a LC1 center for about $400, and a L8400P sub for about $500. There goes your $1500, but you will not be disappointed. The L830 is a bit small for the main L-R, but you could upgrade to larger mains later, the L890 is very popular, then move the L830s to 7:1 surround duty. Any of these speakers will knock your socks off.

The Venue series is more of an entry-level line, but does contain some good units. I’d look at the Stadiums for mains, the Arena for surrounds, Sub12 for sub and Voice for center. These will not have near the punch that the Studio L series does, but will save you some money.

A lot depends on what you’re using to drive the speakers.

[quote=rocksnboarder;2072535] please no bose posts.[/quote]:bigsmile:
Over rated and overpriced!!
Edit: Dan already answered your question.

I just briefly looked around ebay and found the following:

L890 (Front)
http://tinyurl.com/5nupmr

LC2 (Center)
http://tinyurl.com/63uawj

L810 (Rear Surround)
http://tinyurl.com/65rxm8

L8400 (Subwoofer)
http://tinyurl.com/5sahfp

The above will run about $1,600 including shipping. I think this setup will put a decent smile on your face for that price. If you shop around you can get good deals on JBL speakers.

The L890 mains and LC2 center is a very popular setup. Some folks feel the LC2 sounds much better than the LC1. I’d go with the most you can possibly get for the money. The LC2 is probably one of the best centers at any price.

I’d stick with the L830 for surrounds. The 810 is designed for mounting flat to a wall, which is nice, but it will be lacking a bit in low-end. If you must mount on a wall with no space behind, the 810 might be preferable. If you will be using a stand or shelf, go with the 830.

[QUOTE=CDan;2072810]The L890 mains and LC2 center is a very popular setup. Some folks feel the LC2 sounds much better than the LC1. I’d go with the most you can possibly get for the money. The LC2 is probably one of the best centers at any price.

I’d stick with the L830 for surrounds. The 810 is designed for mounting flat to a wall, which is nice, but it will be lacking a bit in low-end. If you must mount on a wall with no space behind, the 810 might be preferable. If you will be using a stand or shelf, go with the 830.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the L830s over the L810s but I would rather have the L890s over the L830s for the front speakers. I was trying to keep the price as close to his target as I could. IMO, most of the work is done by the front speakers and the sub and if you have to compromise doing it with the rears would be my choice.

[QUOTE=UTR;2072835]I agree about the L830s over the L810s but I would rather have the L890s over the L830s for the front speakers. I was trying to keep the price as close to his target as I could. IMO, most of the work is done by the front speakers and the sub and if you have to compromise doing it with the rears would be my choice.[/QUOTE]

The 830’s are surprising robust speakers for their size. My thought was to use them for fronts till more money could be obtained for a bigger set. They’re almost over-kill for surrounds. The Venue Arenas also make excellent surrounds for less money, and will closely match the Studio-L fronts.

It really depends on the AVR to be used, and the primary use of the system. Given specific needs and hardware, any of the Studio-L series could be fine choices.

I just bought the L830’s and lc2 and for the sub I’m still thinking but I’ll definitely keep the L-8400 in mind. MAN IVE BEEN SPENDING MONEY LATELY!!!LOL

Thanks for all your help again guys. I’ll definitely resort back to this site for any questions. Hope the sound out of the speakers blow me away. By the way I have this for a reciever. Onkyo TX-SR674