Speaker and Sound Card selection

I now use an Altec Lansing 4121 speakers, and the CL Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I listen to classical music and the sound quality isn’t too good right now. I suspect it’s the speakers because it got mediocre reviews, so I’m thinking of getting a logitech Z2300. Is that going to be a big improvement in sound quality? Now the sound is very muddy (ie. doesn’t sound crisp and clean.) The bass especially sound all muffled, you can’t hear which instrument it is on because you just get a lot of low, blurry sounds.

And if I get the new speakers, do I have to upgrade my sound card as well?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

I used the Audugy 2 ZS for years and think it is a great sound card. However I did at times run into some driver issues that didn’t sound very clean and I just went back to the older drivers that came on the install disc. Might give that a try before you spend money on new hardware. If that fails I would try a different set of speakers first. But that’s just my opinion.:slight_smile:

You might want to invest in an Equalizer. Separate hardware.

I use Klipsch 5.1 speakers with my 2 ZS.

I ordered one of these for my new build.

That’s way too expensive, I only can spend 200 dollars (max) on both the sound card and speakers. So the z2300+ and a sub 100 soundcard is at the top of my range already.

And for classical music (not games or rock) I don’t need that much base, just clear and crisp sound, without anything being muffled too much. And are creative soundcards good for all kinds of music? I know about this M-Audio brand that everyone is talking about.

The 2 ZS has a software EQ have you used it?

I want to add i’m 51 yrs old now and yes i listen to rock and blues etc…

I care about me sounds :rolleyes: :slight_smile: Good sound card and Klipsch speakers is the way go. All my personal friends that are audiophiles use them.

You in the USA?

Edit:
I need a good turntable to transfer some old albums to hdd :rolleyes:

I would go by the specs and generally on speakers u want 2 drivers in each, so one reproduces high and the other low frequences. For my bro i bot such 2.1 creative and it sounds awesome. i dont think they make them anymore, but u can still see them in Pohl’s graphic lab in “American Chopper”.
Myself I’m using some CA subwoofer + 2 speakers (2 way) - hand built from kenwood car speakers. Excellent sound, I just need to up my mobo now.

What does that do? I think the sound card should be good enough for my standards according to what you are saying. So I think getting a new speaker will improve the sound quality vastly.

I would go by the specs and generally on speakers u want 2 drivers in each, so one reproduces high and the other low frequences. For my bro i bot such 2.1 creative and it sounds awesome. i dont think they make them anymore, but u can still see them in Pohl’s graphic lab in “American Chopper”.

Yes, I only have room for 2.1 speakers. And I [B]do[/B] want a subwoofer.

so it should be a sub + 2 satellites with 2 drivers in each (they are also called 2-way spks)

e.g. http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/creative-inspire-t3000-3pc/4505-3179_7-30967237.html

These are nice for a 2.1 system.

A lot of people don’t know that XP actually downmixes everything through its kernal mixer. This is where kernal streaming comes in and bypasses the kernal mixer, there is a free driver ‘ASIO4ALL’ that allows you to do this. Its a very noticable improvment, your ears will love you. There are other ways to go about doing this, and they vary from sound card to sound card, you just have to research it. :smiley: enjoy.

What does “ASIO4ALL” do?

For the speakers, how is the Creative Itrigue L3800 compared to the Z2300? I don’t know what does the 200W bass do, does it just make it capable to go louder or is it actually better sound quality at low volumes as well?

ASIO4ALL is a driver that bypasses the windows kernal mixer, which is downmixing EVERYTHING that your playing. The difference is quite noticable, even on crappy computer speakers, but only on high bitrate music, low bitrate music is lacking a lot of information in the first place.

I’m interested in trying it out. I read some about it yesterday. Can ASIO4ALL be uninstalled if i don’t like it?

How can it downmix stuff that is recorded with low channels (stereo), and played with the appropriate 2.1 speakers?

Yes, it has an uninstaller.

http://www.asio4all.com/

And if you use winamp here is another driver to try http://www.stevemonks.com/ksplugin/

Don’t guess you need it if you have a Creative card here.

All i have are Creative sound cards.

Don’t guess you need it if you have a Creative card here.

All i have are Creative sound cards.

Thanks, that’s a lot easier then. :slight_smile: