Spaceships may speed consumer air travel

vbimport

Pretty cool stuff! :slight_smile:

Want to fly anywhere on Earth in less than two hours?

Today, Virgin Galactic is scheduled to unveil SpaceShipTwo in California’s Mojave Desert, the first spacecraft for private passenger travel.

With several firms working on commercial suborbital spaceships, a two-hour flight to anywhere on Earth may soon be possible, says an advocacy group laying the groundwork for global high-speed air and space travel.

“If you look at the history of this, it’s nothing but a graveyard,” said John Olds, the founder and chief executive of SpaceWorks Engineering, who is leading a study group on suborbital point-to-point travel.

There was the National Aerospace Plane, a project by the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency to create a single-stage reusable spacecraft that could travel 25 times faster than the speed of sound. President Ronald Reagan announced the project in his 1986 State of the Union address, bragging that it would be able to travel from Washington, D.C., to Tokyo in two hours.

The so-called “Orient Express” was canceled before the first vessel was ever built.

Rest can be read here.

Neato! :bow:

I saw this on the news this morning. Looks awesome, but I sadly cannot afford a ticket :frowning:

[QUOTE=stargate10;2472857]I saw this on the news this morning. Looks awesome, but I sadly cannot afford a ticket :([/QUOTE]
Awww gee … it’s only $200k for a ticket, $400k for a round trip :wink:
And where do they fly to again?