Space used by System Restore?

vbimport

How much space is used by System Restore in WinXP Pro, and can that space be freed up by disabling System Restore? I began using WinXP Pro about 4 months ago, and it has grown from the initial 6.2GB to 9.3GB already compared ti Win2k that grew from initial 2.0GB to 4.2GB but took 9 years to grow that much. My 20GB partition that WinXP is installed on will be full in less than 2 years if WinXP continues to grow at this rate.

You can adjust how much space it will use, as it updates the older entry are removed. Go to control panel, performance and maintenance, on the upper left system restore, settings, set the % you want it to use.

I’ve had poor results using System Restore with XP and find it better to use something like Acronis or Clonezilla to create a backup of my system. You can turn the service off, System Restore Service, from Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and you can also delete the restore points that have already been created. This is only my preference based on my experience with XP restore points.

When I was using it occasionally when something got messed up it was really picky about being on a fragmented drive, once that happened the restore points didn’t work anymore. Not sure if it still happens in win7 but it did in XP and made many of my restore points useless. When it did work it could be a life saver but I agree, if you truly want a working restore point try some after market backup software that you know works and use that.

I use either Ghost 2003 or Seagate DiscWizard to create periodic images of OS partition, and I too might do better disabling system restore especially if its reliability isn’t good. I’ve never had a problem restoring saved images using Ghost or DiscWizard.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2481295]How much space is used by System Restore in WinXP Pro[/quote] 12% of each hard drive letter

and can that space be freed up by disabling System Restore?
Yes.

I began using WinXP Pro about 4 months ago, and it has grown from the initial 6.2GB to 9.3GB already compared ti Win2k that grew from initial 2.0GB to 4.2GB but took 9 years to grow that much. My 20GB partition that WinXP is installed on will be full in less than 2 years if WinXP continues to grow at this rate.
It will never outgrow 12% of each hard drive letter.