Sp3

vbimport

mY wINDOOZE UPDATE PROMPTED ME TO UPLOAD sp3 AND LIKE AN IDIOT i DID. mY COMPUTER, AN asus kv8SE WITH an Amd3700 64 IMMEDIATELY CRASHED. i WAS FINALLY ABLE TO BOOT INTO SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. i SPENT 3 HOURS WITH Microsoft WHO SAID THAT sp3 WAS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SOME AMD machines unless THE REGISTRY WAS MODIFIED. they believed this was NOT THEIR PROBLEM SO NEGLECTED TO issue A PATCH. 3 hours later they had my machine so messed up it would no longer boot at all… i COULD NOT RUN MY oem windows repair as the machine had been updated so many times the disc was considered too old compared to what was on my machine. The Microsoft technician suggested that I run the repair off a later disc which a neighbor of mine had lent me. He insisted this would not affect the activation. By the time he was done he loaded (they remotely took control of my machine) XP on top of the XP I already had installed. My hard drive which before had 90G’s of data now had 140G’s of data. Then the Windows pops up saying I have 30 days left to activate Windows. The technician then switched me over to another technician and 2 hours later they were able to validate the copy on my machine. Virtually none of my programs work now. I am steadily regaining control by creating new shortcuts to the programs. I now have a machine with new activation keys but no way to do a clean install. I backed al of my essential stuff up but am going thru computer hell right now. I have managed to remove about 40G’s of redundant programming. I am now going to install Vista Basic 64 on a dual boot set up and slowly migrate to Vista. I know I am opening a can of worms but I refuse to buy another copy of XP after they have messed up this one. I will have Vista on it’s own 500G hard drive and XP on it’s 160G hard drive with another 500G as back up.

Norton 360 saved all of my major files and was instrumental in not loosing vital data.

just venting huh, yup MS sucks.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2108062]mY wINDOOZE UPDATE PROMPTED ME TO UPLOAD sp3 AND LIKE AN IDIOT i DID. mY COMPUTER, AN asus kv8SE WITH an Amd3700 64 IMMEDIATELY CRASHED. i WAS FINALLY ABLE TO BOOT INTO SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. i SPENT 3 HOURS WITH Microsoft WHO SAID THAT sp3 WAS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SOME AMD machines unless THE REGISTRY WAS MODIFIED. they believed this was NOT THEIR PROBLEM SO NEGLECTED TO issue A PATCH. 3 hours later they had my machine so messed up it would no longer boot at all… i COULD NOT RUN MY oem windows repair as the machine had been updated so many times the disc was considered too old compared to what was on my machine. The Microsoft technician suggested that I run the repair off a later disc which a neighbor of mine had lent me. He insisted this would not affect the activation. By the time he was done he loaded (they remotely took control of my machine) XP on top of the XP I already had installed. My hard drive which before had 90G’s of data now had 140G’s of data. Then the Windows pops up saying I have 30 days left to activate Windows. The technician then switched me over to another technician and 2 hours later they were able to validate the copy on my machine. Virtually none of my programs work now. I am steadily regaining control by creating new shortcuts to the programs. I now have a machine with new activation keys but no way to do a clean install. I backed al of my essential stuff up but am going thru computer hell right now. I have managed to remove about 40G’s of redundant programming. I am now going to install Vista Basic 64 on a dual boot set up and slowly migrate to Vista. I know I am opening a can of worms but I refuse to buy another copy of XP after they have messed up this one. I will have Vista on it’s own 500G hard drive and XP on it’s 160G hard drive with another 500G as back up.

Norton 360 saved all of my major files and was instrumental in not loosing vital data.[/QUOTE]

Guess venting is good but unless you really tell us the specific problem there not much we can do here… my system is even older then yours and I have XP pro sp3 and it works excellent in every respect to my software running including A/V and Firewall programs. Rather then downloading by windows update which is notorious for causing problems in the first place you should’ve downloaded the SP3 iso program from M$ instead and burn to a cd/dvd to update offline. Plus you should’ve check to see if there was updates that related to AMD CPU as well before you updated. Remember Vista is hard written with alot of controlling DRM built in. Back to my system it’s running AMD 1800+ a much older CPU on a Abit KR7A-133R motherboard and it runs good. Granted I maintain my system.

Here is a link to what caused to meltdown. Microsft could have easily included this fix in the SP3 down load but chose not too. Below is a summary: Here is a direct link to the page (which came out June 11 2008): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To work around this issue, follow these steps: 1. Restart your computer in safe mode.

For more information about safe mode in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/) A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Restart your computer.

It should be noted that Microsoft was unable to install SP3 twice on my Machine even though they had complete control over it. (I let them take over thu the program they use for that) They suggested I not download it. Incidentally, I built my machine and used the Windows disc I purchased with it. I could not use the restore function as Windows had updated so much it said my disc was older than the operating system on my machine. My only downloads came from Microsoft so any registry errors were done on their part as my machine has been stable for 2 years and this was the first crash I had. My machine had no images from other machines. I had an XP Oem disc.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2108349]Here is a link to what caused to meltdown. Microsft could have easily included this fix in the SP3 down load but chose not too. Below is a summary: Here is a direct link to the page (which came out June 11 2008): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To work around this issue, follow these steps: 1. Restart your computer in safe mode.

For more information about safe mode in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/) A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Restart your computer.

It should be noted that Microsoft was unable to install SP3 twice on my Machine even though they had complete control over it. (I let them take over thu the program they use for that) They suggested I not download it. Incidentally, I built my machine and used the Windows disc I purchased with it. I could not use the restore function as Windows had updated so much it said my disc was older than the operating system on my machine. My only downloads came from Microsoft so any registry errors were done on their part as my machine has been stable for 2 years and this was the first crash I had. My machine had no images from other machines. I had an XP Oem disc.[/QUOTE]

Not download it that a complete farce…my downloaded SP3 iso works prefectly fine…they are trying to force you over to Vista bloatware…you have every right to download the iso and update it yourself…I never trust remote control…espically M$ who cares more about profit then customer service…Since you purchase XP you can download SP3 iso and slipstream it and you have XP SP3…without M$ crape help…

Hi,[quote=Zathros;2108349]Here is a link to what caused to meltdown. Microsft could have easily included this fix in the SP3 down load but chose not too. Below is a summary: Here is a direct link to the page (which came out June 11 2008): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372[/quote]Unless you have a HP computer with AMD CPU, you won’t be affected from this.
HP managed to use the same installation image for AMD and Intel architectures :rolleyes:

I suspect your problems are somehow related to some security software which was still running in the background at the time of the SP3 installation.

Absolutely no problems here with SP3 on two systems (Dell XP Pro, Toshiba XP Home).

Michael

I suspect that you guys are both right. I had been wanting to do a dual boot with Vista Home Basic for the heck of it but no one except me knew that. I actually spoke to a tech late last night who said that he felt my machine should easily accept SP3 now and felt that I was given bad advice. Microsoft and myself actually tried SP3 from updates and then a manual install from that 318mb(?) download, to try a manual load. Both failed. My machine is stable again and ironically has not prompted me to download SP3?. I have Norton 360 and I also wondered if that was the problem but the tech at Microsoft did not believe so, I believe otherwise. On the final attempt they had wiped out Norton completely and I actually had no virus protection. When thhey were done I had XP loaded over XP and an extra 40G’s of crap. I actually had another My Programs file under “My Documents”. I was able to salvage some programs from there by creating new shortcuts to them. I suspect I have many Windows duplicate files. Since my original disc will no longer allow me to do a clean install of Windows (they said I could all I had to do was give them the new activation/validation number they gave me) I have decided to make the jump to Vista and run XP until I get confident with Vista (if ever). I under no circumstance will buy XP again. If I had to reinstall from the original XP disc it would take so long to load all my programs it just wouldn’t be worth it. I imagine new posts coming about compatibility problems I am having with Vista Home 64. Thanks for all the input, I am all ears and open to any suggestions. I did Order Vista already and a 500G hard drive to put it on so it will have it’s own little world to work in.

I would appreciate any more input in regards to Norton 360 and the install of SP3 if any one wishes to offer it. Thanks in advance.

Hi,[quote=Zathros;2108574]Microsoft and myself actually tried SP3 from updates and then a manual install from that 318mb(?) download, to try a manual load.[/quote]This is the full Service Pack. Keep that on CD in case you want try again later.

I under no circumstance will buy XP again.
Why should you buy that again. You have a license. Perhaps creating an install CD with SP3 integrated, and then a repair install with that disc might help.

I would appreciate any more input in regards to Norton 360 and the install of SP3 if any one wishes to offer it. Thanks in advance.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/en-us

“Perhaps creating an install CD with SP3 integrated, and then a repair install with that disc might help.”

I do not know how to do this. My original disc was a SP1 disc that would not let me run the repair program as it said it was too old compared to the system on my machine… Can I copy the disc my neighbor lent me? Microsoft gave me a new Certificate of Authenticity number. I just did not know if these discs were able to be copied. I profess my ignorance in this.

[quote=Zathros;2108803]“Perhaps creating an install CD with SP3 integrated, and then a repair install with that disc might help.”

I do not know how to do this.[/quote]There are excellent guides and tools (NLite) on the web, you just have to pick them up.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894947 (Part1)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894948 (Part2)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894949 (Part3)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894950 (Part4)

There is no difference in integrating SP2 or SP3.

My original disc was a SP1 disc that would not let me run the repair program as it said it was too old compared to the system on my machine.
That’s normal.

Can I copy the disc my neighbor lent me? Microsoft gave me a new Certificate of Authenticity number.
This number was valid only for this installation process (maybe an OEM version).
If your own disc is a retail or system builder version, I’d prefer building a SP3-integrated disc based on this CD.

Michael

I thank for very much for the information. I have been working on my system on and off all day it is has been extremely stable. I have ordered Vista Home Basic 64bit and a 500G hard drive to put it on. I am going to build a dual boot system and “Play” with this setup till I build my next computer in a year or so. I do know that Microsoft has said that neither of my discs match my computer as now configured but validated it anyway. I got the OEM disc when I first built the machine, so it is pretty old., I am not even sure it has SP1 on it. The system is steady and all of my main programs, Rhino 3d, Adobe CS3, all my Flight simulators and other various programs work so I guess I am pretty much back in business. Thanks for all the support and info. I have bookmarked the references you gave me on making the discs and if i can build up the courage I may try it. Thanks again, really!!

[quote=Zathros;2109190]I thank for very much for the information.[/quote]You’re Welcome! Perhaps you should add this to your bookmarks also: http://www.nliteos.com/ :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2109276]You’re Welcome! Perhaps you should add this to your bookmarks also: http://www.nliteos.com/ :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

I had no idea such a program existed! It is a little daunting for me but I am very interested in it and am studying it. Thanks for the link. I just got Vista Home basic 64 today and the new 500G hard drive. From what i understand the install should be pretty easy. I am going to put my other hard drives on a PCI IDE Raid card and then put the Hard drive with Vista on the second IDE port off the motherboard. My ASUS K8VSE actually has a 3rd IDE port but it has to be configured but at least I have room if I need it. I think with 2 500G’s and a 160G drive I should be set for a while. Again, thanks, "Vielen Dank!!

Hi,[quote=Zathros;2110308] I am going to put my other hard drives on a PCI IDE Raid card and then put the Hard drive with Vista on the second IDE port off the motherboard. My ASUS K8VSE actually has a 3rd IDE port[/quote]this is a Promise Raid controller. Why not use that instead of buying an add-on card? The only problem might be the availability of Vista drivers (prehaps they are already built-in).

Again, thanks, "Vielen Dank!!
Bitteschön - You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

I actually already have the PCI card. I previously had 2 DVD burners and 3 hard drives. I don’t have the patience now to play with that IDE port though it is tempting and I may add a spare 60G hard drive I have to it. I busted a Pin on my Lite-On burner. It would read record and play DVD’s but could only read some CD Roms. I can fix the pin (on the IDE slot on the DVD Burner) but when I broke that pin I knew that my patience was wearing thing. That must be the first header pin I have broken in 15 years! Nothing to be proud about for sure. I purchased a HP dvd1035i DVD Writer for $25 dollars from Tigerdirect.com and already have a New AOpen that I forgot I had (still new in the box) I purchased a year and a half ago. You forget things when you hit 50 years old. Ich vergesse viel!