SP2 killed my Burner!

vbimport

Well at least I think it did … it seems to be the only logical conculsion.

Decided to finally upgrade to SP2 over the weekend and did the necessaries.

reformatted, re-installed and everything else, but my BTC DVDRW IDE1008 just doesn’t want to play.

I backed up all my mp3’s over 3 disks when I was still on SP1 - about 8 gig worth - and it refuses point blank to read them - even though it wrote them !. And i’ve been trying to “backup” a film (slaves of new york) and it starts writing the lead-in and chucks the disc with a write error.

Everything seemed fine when I was still on SP1, and i’ve just spent the last 3 or 4 hours running every diagnostic I can find to try and find out why it’s doing what it’s doing, and the only logical conclusion seems to be that SP2 has a problem with the drive.

The DMA mode is fine, deleted those and rebooted to restore them to default so that was ok. Done everything I can think of and it’s STILL playing up. Firmware is 0060 - although i’ve considered reflashing down a firmware to see if that makes a difference.

I’ve got :

Windows XP professional with SP2
Sempron 2200+ 1.5ghz
192mb Ram

Any ideas ?? Pretty please ? :bow: :bow: :bow:

Have you tried the drive in another computer. Also what did you use to backup the discs (software wise). Also try your discs in another computers dvd rom drive see if it works, it could be software related but unfortunately knowing BTC quality it could also be hardware related.

update:

rolled back the firmware to 0658 and burnt the film backup with no real problems.

so looking for some kind of disk recovery tool now to rescue my mp3’s …

unfortunately I don’t really know anyone else with a computer near me, so I can’t really try the drive - or discs - in another machine.

I used nero version 6 to write the discs out - used “make data dvd” wizard to create the disk and burnt it at 2x speed to be certain.

when i insert the discs, it reads the directory listing so I can see what’s on it - but when I try and copy the files off, it just hangs.