South Dakota ISP battles US Copyright Group in file sharing lawsuits

vbimport

South Dakota ISP battles US Copyright Group in file sharing lawsuits.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/jnPElM.jpg[/newsimage]ISP Midcontinent Communications will not comply with a court subpoena from Washington DC regarding a BitTorrent copyright lawsuit unless ordered to do so by a local court.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/south-dakota-isp-battles-us-copyright-group-in-file-sharing-lawsuits-33842/](http://www.myce.com/news/south-dakota-isp-battles-us-copyright-group-in-file-sharing-lawsuits-33842/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Is “hate” too strong a word to apply to describe feelings toward these scum of the Earth, sue-happy organizations?

[QUOTE=UTR;2541707]Is “hate” too strong a word to apply to describe feelings toward these scum of the Earth, sue-happy organizations?[/QUOTE] Perhaps “despise” is the word you’re looking for? :cool:

There has to be a better way to use the resources that we currently have dedicated to prosecuting file-sharers.

In a somewhat related story: I flew across the country last week and watched a man strike up conversation with the family next to him. They got along so well that the man felt compelled to share his pirated copy of “Twilight” (still in theaters) with the two 8 y/o girls who were on their first flight ever. Totally made those girls’ day. I just wish that I could’ve read the parent’s thoughts on the situation, as I’m sure they know what “piracy” is, and the little ones didn’t (I’m pretty certain). Do you think there was a conversation later about it being illegal, or do you think that they happily watched the movie and enjoyed it?

I’m sure they watched and enjoyed it . . . just like most of us would have.

[QUOTE=wconeybeer;2541855]Do you think there was a conversation later about it being illegal…?[/QUOTE]
I would bet that there wasn’t…

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2541785]Perhaps “despise” is the word you’re looking for? :cool:[/QUOTE]

I don’t know. The word “despise” seems a little lite to me. I “despise” the way commercials are louder than the shows and I feel much stronger than this toward the RIAA and MPAA.

[QUOTE=UTR;2541977]I don’t know. The word “despise” seems a little lite to me. I “despise” the way commercials are louder than the shows and I feel much stronger than this toward the RIAA and MPAA.[/QUOTE] I’d consider “despise” to be much stronger than “hate”, but perhaps that’s due to a cultural difference?! :flower:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2542058]I’d consider “despise” to be much stronger than “hate”, but perhaps that’s due to a cultural difference?! :flower:[/QUOTE]

I’ll retract the word “hate” and just wish bad things to happen to the RIAA and MPAA. I’ll keep those bad things to myself and my therapist. :wink:

My Ma told me when I was little never say you hate anyone just say you hate there ways and so I have RIAA and MPAA ways. Well what the heck my Ma is not here now and I am not little so I hate RIAA and MPAA

Is “revulsion” the right word? - just putting it out there.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but I’m suppose to understand that if I use wireless equipment, I can’t really expect privacy in those communications. That’s called being “adult” or understanding that we are in a new age of technology. Or, if its on the Internet, it’s out there…I don’t own it any more!

However, it seems that the movie industry is throwing a legal tantrum demanding that they be allowed to keep all their “pre-computer age” rights (and collect even more in passing) while the rest of us have to adjust to fewer rights and liberties. And, we are suppose to respect this “childish” behavior by the studios as “business-like” - really? I have a hard time wrapping my brain around that one.

And, by the way, whether the couple discussed the pirated copy of Twilight or not, what is more to the point, did the kids like it enough to pressure their parents into buying them a copy? That’s the unsung advantage that works for the studios which they don’t care to admit. If piracy stopped “totally” - so would many of their sales - because without piracy, there’s no “free” advertising going on.

You’d imagine that with all the think-tanks and creative brain-power that the entertainment industry has at their disposal, they’d find a way to manipulate piracy - to make it work for them - instead of draining their legal accounts and angering their potential customer base. For example - “Turn in a boot-legged copy and get a 20% off the legal copy with this coupon!” This is off the top of my head. Imagine what really creative people could come up with “if” the studios decided to stop trying to get “even” and just tried making profits?

Blame your politicians they are the ones that have allowed and abetted the mafariaa fight them with your votes!

[QUOTE=Mary Cahill;2542303 For example - “Turn in a boot-legged copy and get a 20% off the legal copy with this coupon!” [/QUOTE]

I can just see all of the eBay auctions springing up right now. All it would take is someone to sell DVD rips per request real cheap so someone could take advantage of the discount, even if they didn’t own the pirate copy beforehand. I think it would be the same type of vendors that sell copies of freeware on there to uninformed buyers

I doubt the adults in wconeybeer’s story above gave a crap if it was illegal or not since they shared it with their kids. If they felt strongly about it being wrong they wouldn’t have included the kids in it. For all you know they traded email addys so the trading could continue on after the flight.

The studio’s can’t get past the fact that people will find out ways around the copyright protections. I don’t see new technology like UV doing much except to “keep the honest people honest” sort of speak. The people or “hackers” as the media likes to call them are as smart or smarter that the engineers creating the hardware/ software to thwart the pirates. It will be a neverending cat and mouse game unless copyright holders can monitor every move you make on your PC anytime day or night or get the search engines or ISP’s involved to filter out “offensive” search results.

I sure as hell hope that never happens. The net as we know it will officially die the day search results filtering happens on that scale.

[QUOTE=DOS_equis;2542913]I can just see all of the eBay auctions springing up right now.

Sorry - I didn’t mean to alarm you with my suggestion of trading in ripped-off copies for a discount on an original! Something similar works for getting guns off the street. How I see it working is that one week the 20% discount would be for those who turned in their knock-offs. And, the next week, the general public would get the same 20% discount - so there’d be no advantage for eBay sellers, you see. It would simply allow people with knock-offs an easy way to purge their library and their conscience? Like I said, it was off the top of my head. I was hoping someone might suggest an improvement on the plan, or another idea with potential?

US Copyright Group’s website (h**p://wwwcopyrightsettlementinfo) is tagged with conficker botnet and multiple redirects to anti-p2p loggers. Apparently even curiosity is spied on. Is there any legitimacy to these lawyers?

[QUOTE=emptyaddy;2544042]US Copyright Group’s website (h**p://wwwcopyrightsettlementinfo) is tagged with conficker botnet [/QUOTE]this is not a legit website of the US Copyright Group, but simply some retarded spam website. I thnk, the real USCG is happy to nuke this fraudulent website.

Michael

Curious question, could the new cyberstalking laws be applied to these “copyright” groups? They sure seem to fall into this category. Are they not stalking people who download movies? What about the tactics they use, are they legal tactics to gain IP addresses? Are they hacking into someones servers to get the info? Who is watching the watchers?

Ooooh, someone has their thinking cap on…! Mighty good question? Let’s hope someone with a law degree is willing to try using your notion!