Source For Belts For Pioneer BDR-208D

My tray belt on my Pioneer BDR-208D is slipping again.

Can anyone recommend a source for belts for this unit. I might as well change both if I am opening it up anyway.

TIA

Very difficult to get specific belts these days. But here is a tip that will work most times.

Remove the belt and place it a cup of boiling water. Leave it there for a couple of minutes.
This will shrink the belt back to size. Measure the diameter of the belt now while its out, and make a note of it. You can probably get a generic belt of that size from ebay.

Let the belt cool down then put it back in the drive. More than likely it will work now.

Dusting down the tray’s mechanism with a light spray lubricant can also help make the job easier for those belts when it goes back together… aside from the belt’s pulleys of course.

Do not put the belt in boiling water.

The correct method of refurbishing the tray belt is to wet a paper towel with acetone and to drag the belt in between the paper towel and your fingers (wear gloves!).

This is called “deglazing” the belt.

Do this until there are no more black streaks on the paper towel.

The belt should be good for another decade after this.

The original belt didn’t last a decade. Why would a refurbished belt do any better.
And cleaning the belt wont help much if the belt is stretched,

I don’t know if it will work but when an old film projector (to covert old home movies to DVD) I had needed a new belt which were not available anymore because it was so old I used an O Ring from a Bearing and Bolt Shop, and it worked.
Just measure the size you need and see if they have one that size.
Hope that helps.

We’re speaking strictly about drive tray belts here… The one that sits at the front of the drive that’s connected to the motor and pulleys that open the tray. The failure mode of these belts isn’t stretching… Rather, they lose their grip because they become glazed over after a while with a smooth, dry layer.

The acetone method removes the glaze layer and allows the belt to grip the pulleys properly. The inside of the pulley where the belt sits should also be cleaned with a q-tip and some acetone.

Would isopropyl alcohol 90%, isopropyl alcohol 70%, or ethyl alcohol 70% be safer to use than acetone ?

No, it should be acetone, the purer, the better.

I reject the premise of the video… The premise being that slipping is always caused by the belt stretching. This is not the case. If the reason for the belt slipping is glaze rather than stretching - as is almost always the case with PC 5.25" optical drives, then boiling the belt causes irreversible damage, and you’re only temporarily mitigating the problem by placing more tension on the pulleys.

Acetone is the correct method.

I never said the only reason for a belt slipping was because it was stretched.
But get over yourself. You’re full of it.

Isopropyl 90% is a lot safer than using an acetone, which is dangerous stuff to inhale. It’s basically nail polish remover.

This is not my method… I didn’t invent it. This method comes from Youtuber Norcal715 who is a professional VCR repairman. This is someone with decades of experience in this field.

No, alcohol won’t work… It needs to be acetone. Nail polish remover isn’t the best because it can often be more dilute than is desired, but it should work in a pinch. If you can get something stronger, then it will work better.

Would the drive be harmed in any way if I use a paper clip inserted into the emergency release hole while the power is off to open the tray ???

No we do it all the time

A long time ago, back when I was reading about belts for vcr’s, someone mentioned rubber ‘O rings’. They last way longer than belts.
Go to a hardware/plumbing store with your belts and measure diameter and length. Find the best fit for your player.
I just finished re-belting a Mitsubishi vcr using this O ring method and it works perfectly. Make sure to clean the belt path where the old belt was, alcohol works fine, let it dry first before putting O ring in place.
Replace gently.