Sound Randomly Stops

vbimport

Hi, I’m running Windows XP Professional SP3. I have an Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC’97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3] installed. At seemingly random times, sound will stop working, and won’t resume again until I log off. As soon as I receive the message that I’m being logged off, I hear the Windows sound. Because of this, I can only guess that some process I have running is somehow conflicting with my sound card. However, I can’t find any processes that should have this effect. I’ve noticed also that when my computer won’t play any sounds, iTunes won’t play any songs and the marker will stay at zero seconds (although iTunes doesn’t need to be running for the sound to stop).

Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Can you give more detail besides the sound hardware as to what your computer specs are? When did the sounds start? Have you done a complete reinstall of the O/S and drivers to see if that doesn’t fix the sound issues. Sounds like a itune problem uninstall it and see if the sounds come back??

I doubt it’s an iTunes issue, but guess you never know!.. However, I would agree on re-installing your mobo’s sound drivers…
Have tried a different player e.g. Winamp, Foobar2k, MediaMonkey etc…

This has come after a fresh install of the OS. This computer used to be my brother’s, but I don’t believe that it ever used to have this problem. I know for a fact that it’s not an iTunes problem because this started before I even installed iTunes. When I open up other players (VLC, Media Player Classic, etc.) the songs will play, but no sound will come out of the speakers. I know that it’s not an issue with the speakers as I’ve tried using others. In terms of the other specs on my system, I’m not sure what I should post. I have Everest Home Edition, so just tell me what you need to know and I’ll post it.

Thanks again!

Again, re-install your [I]particular[/I] Motherboard sound driver…See if that helps…If you don’t have the disc, search the net for a driver download…

I reinstalled the driver yesterday and so far have not been experiencing any problems. However, sometimes the computer can go days at a time without this problem. Other times, this can happen 2 or 3 times a day. I guess I’ll let everyone know if this happens again.

Whenever restoring the OS from a manufacturer’s generic OS disc don’t forget that you must also use the model specific-restore/resource disc for installing chipset/hardware drivers. Computer manufacturers usually have updated chipset/hardware drivers that may be downloaded from their support website.

I didn’t use the restore CD. I used a genuine XP Professional disk. When I first installed and loaded the drivers, I had a problem viewing flash video. Every time I tried, the computer would crash and reboot. Rather than diagnose the issue myself, I sent it to an IT guy. He reformatted and flash now works fine. However, I am not sure where he got his drivers from. I know for a fact that he gave me a bad video driver, so who’s to say he didn’t do the same with the sound? I guess only time will tell.

[QUOTE=Grim107;2545883]I didn’t use the restore CD. I used a genuine XP Professional disk. When I first installed and loaded the drivers, I had a problem viewing flash video. Every time I tried, the computer would crash and reboot. Rather than diagnose the issue myself, I sent it to an IT guy. He reformatted and flash now works fine. However, I am not sure where he got his drivers from. I know for a fact that he gave me a bad video driver, so who’s to say he didn’t do the same with the sound? I guess only time will tell.[/QUOTE]

You need to use the [I]correct video driver[/I] for your video card or the [I]correct video driver[/I] for the video chip integrated into your motherboard. The [I]generic drivers[/I] found on “genuine” MS Windows discs [I][B]seldom fully support [/B]third party video cards or video chips[/I]. The same situation is sometimes present with sound cards or integrated sound chips and, especially integrated network adapter chips. That’s why it’s important to download the latest drivers from the computer manufacturer, OEM or third party manufacturer after installing or re-installing Windows from a Microsoft disc or disc-set.

[QUOTE=VoxHumana;2545885]You need to use the [I]correct video driver[/I] for your video card or the [I]correct video driver[/I] for the video chip integrated into your motherboard. The [I]generic drivers[/I] found on “genuine” MS Windows discs [I][B]seldom fully support [/B]third party video cards or video chips[/I]. The same situation is sometimes present with sound cards or integrated sound chips and, especially integrated network adapter chips. That’s why it’s important to download the latest drivers from the computer manufacturer, OEM or third party manufacturer after installing or re-installing Windows from a Microsoft disc or disc-set.[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand. When I said that I used a genuine XP Professional CD, I was saying that that’s what I used to reformat. I didn’t use a restore CD from Dell. I am not sure where the IT guy got his drivers from. I’m guessing he either used a program like Driver Detective or used some Dell driver CD. Anyway, the only driver he installed that clearly didn’t work right was the video driver. I found the correct one and installed. Yesterday after starting this thread, I found another driver for the sound. I installed it, but may not be able to see if it fixes the problem for a while.