Sound from Hard Disk Drive

vbimport

Hello,
I just noticed something strange. A few minutes ago, I heard a sort of clicking sound from inside my computer. I think it came from my HDD. I recently had a new drive(WD320GB). I did not hear the sound again - only once. I have never heard it before, that’s why I suspect it came from the new one. What can it be?
About this new drive I installed, I did not use any screws to secure the drive- I just inserted it into the slot. I didn’t have any screws with me at that time and so I did it. Has this sound got something to do with that? I have heard that a drive should be grounded properly. Can this harm the drive in any way? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Without screws holding it in place it can move around from the vibration and could in a way affect the grounding I believe, You can go to computer store that repairs them and ask them for 4 screws if you don’t have them, thats what I would do myself. I see my buddy Kerry is on so he might know more about this subject

You should never have a conventional hard drive in the computer case without some type of fasteners. The rotation of the platters will cause it to move around a bit otherwise.

I’ve seen hard drives suspended by rubber bands before, so I don’t believe you have to have a ground to the case through the screws.

Just in case.

Generally a clicking sound coming from your hard drive is a bad omen. Secure your hard drive in place, back-up anything important to another source. Scan the hard drive with chkdsk command. CHKDSK C: /F /R

/F Fixes errors on the disk.

/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F).

If CHKDSK offers to “convert lost chains to files”, recover lost data, or fix something else, you should accept.

After CHKDSK finishes, restart your computer normally and see if the dreaded click of doom returns. If so, the drive is most likely damaged, and/or should be replaced as soon as possible. Especially if there are a lot of bad sectors.

[U][B]Using Windows 7[/B][/U]

[U][B]Using Vista[/B][/U]

[U][B]Using XP[/B][/U]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

:cool::cool:

To me, it seems like the lack of screws being the culprit, as all it takes is some significant seeking for the drive to rattle. Hard drives periodically do their own self tests, so this could even happen when not accessing the hard disk.

Try fastening it in place. If the unexpected sound reoccurs, try running the Western Digital diagnostic utility on it, assuming it is a Western Digital drive going by the “WD320GB” you mention. If it reports a problem, take a photo of the screen and print it. This way you can RMA or return the drive and show that the drive failed the diagnostic.

Hi,
I performed CHKDSK on this drive, which turned up zero bad sectors.
Thanks for everyone, will surely fix the drive with screws. And thanks to Sean for mentioning the Western Digital diagnostic utility. Will try that, too.

That is a great tool, I have it also sorry I forgot to mention it myself but one good thing about MyCe forums is that somebody always comes up with good ideas