Sound Effect Manager will not open after windows security update

vbimport

My Windows XP home downloaded and installed a security update (KB925902), then i had to restart my computer. After that the problem occurred: every time i turn on my computer, i get the error message with the following text on the title bar: “RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal system DLL relocation”. And here is the message:

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

I uninstalled Realtek High Definition Audio driver. after that the message did not appear after bootup. Then i reinstalled the sound drivers again and the error message above appeared again after every bootup. And i cannot open the Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager. Then i restored my system back to the point where this security update was not installed yet. Everything was OK until the windows installed this update again. and again i got this error message. Can i blame Microsoft? Or there is something wrong in my system? Please advice. :bow:

Hi,

A patch for the patch :doh: has been released meanwhile: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=935448

Cressida, thank you very much. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome, Hannez. I saw it on WinFuture.de - a bit nasty of Microsoft to require WGA for this, as it’s not considered a critical security update (whereas the original update was).

Looks like I owe you thanks again Cressida :flower: as I just found the same error on my main system, after husband decided to be [I]helpful[/I] yesterday and do a Windows update :wink:

I was about to get very irked and send a snotty email to M$ (well, I might still do that as well), so you have saved me a lot of hassle.

Thanks to Hannez too - if you hadn’t posted this, I’d have taken much longer to figure it out :flower:

Thanks for the post…I have Realtec HD Audio Manager also and I
couldn’t figure out what the problem was or how to fix it and thanks
to you its all fixed now!! Much thanks!!!
Ollierenee

No problem. The news today is that this “Cursor-Patch” not only interferes with the Realtek Audio Control Panel, but also with other programs like AVG and F-secure anti-virus and that it can even prevent Windows from booting in some cases.

Good to have Linux as back-up, right Prof.? :wink:

:iagree: Most definitely :bigsmile:
Out of curiosity, I sent an email to Microsoft asking what they would recommend to do about the error message following the Windows update. Their reply was a classic “thankyou for your email blah blah, please contact the person who sold you the computer, it’s really nothing to do with us, blah blah…” They didn’t even manage a link to their own patch :doh:

LINUX! LINUX! LINUX! (you see, I’ve been brainwashed by the pengiun :wink: )