Sound Card - Audigy or SB Live!?

vbimport

Should I look at getting a Sound Blaster Live! or Sound Blaster Audigy 1 for games?

For GAMES , an SB-live should be enough. You don’t need the better recording performance from the Audigy and I doubt you’ll notice the difference in playback-quality while playing games.

I think you’d better use the money you save with the SB-live to get a good speaker setup (4.1 or 5.1, depending on the card’s specifications).

Hi,

I am thinking the Audigy because…

1. The Live only has 4 speaker output (is this right?)
  2. The Live does not support EAX Advanced HD
  3. The Audigy is only a little more.

Is there anything the Live has that the Audigy doesnt?

SB Live

Unless you are a musician with a very well trained ear, heck, I even bet if seated behind 5 diff PC’s each running a diff sound card with the same speaker setup, and playing a few things on each PC, you WILL NEVER know the diff or hear how one is better or outperforms the other. I do intensive WAV editing and my SB Live suits me fine. I don’t have a well trained ear and prob wouldn’t hear he diff btw an old ISA Gold Sound Card and the SB Live Value… :stuck_out_tongue:

TerraTec Aureon 5.1 Sky

better sound quality as the Audigy 2 but without the crappy creative drivers.

I traded my Audigy and $30 to my friend for a Terratec DMX6fire LT, I find the sound quality better and it doesn’t screw up in Battlefield1942 like the Audigy did. Although I can’t seem to get it to upmix stereo sound to 5.1 like CMSS or whatever from the audigy.

Originally posted by xtacydima
[B]SB Live

Unless you are a musician with a very well trained ear, heck, I even bet if seated behind 5 diff PC’s each running a diff sound card with the same speaker setup, and playing a few things on each PC, you WILL NEVER know the diff or hear how one is better or outperforms the other. I do intensive WAV editing and my SB Live suits me fine. I don’t have a well trained ear and prob wouldn’t hear he diff btw an old ISA Gold Sound Card and the SB Live Value… :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

I bought an Audigy also as I do alot of Audio restoration ( Vinyl to cd) and liked the RCA line-in and other connections on the sound card driver just for ease of use but the sound caracteristics on the live are the same if i’m not mistaken.
As for the Creative drivers I have never had any problems with them. I think the problem with Creative is more in their other software. (Mediaplayer ripper etc) Conflicting with other software.
I just install the drivers and mixer and it works great with all my ripping,burning and editing programs !:smiley:

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
I bought an Audigy also as I do alot of Audio restoration ( Vinyl to cd) and liked the RCA line-in and other connections on the sound card driver just for ease of use but the sound caracteristics on the live are the same if i’m not mistaken.
As for the Creative drivers I have never had any problems with them. I think the problem with Creative is more in their other software. (Mediaplayer ripper etc) Conflicting with other software.
I just install the drivers and mixer and it works great with all my ripping,burning and editing programs !:smiley:

I agree, RCA kicks audio jack’s butt, but if you wanan save a buck, get SPDIF for 20bux more and have a sweet deal for like $60 instead of over $100. Also the SB Live Value comes with a Wavelab software no other card comes with. But thats my opinion of why Ilike it.

Originally posted by xtacydima
I agree, RCA kicks audio jack’s butt, but if you wanan save a buck, get SPDIF for 20bux more and have a sweet deal for like $60 instead of over $100. Also the SB Live Value comes with a Wavelab software no other card comes with. But thats my opinion of why Ilike it.

Is the wavelab different from the wave editor that comes with the Audigy ?

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
I traded my Audigy and $30 to my friend for a Terratec DMX6fire LT, I find the sound quality better and it doesn’t screw up in Battlefield1942 like the Audigy did. Although I can’t seem to get it to upmix stereo sound to 5.1 like CMSS or whatever from the audigy.

did you activate sensaura and reboot your system? it should work then. i dont have any problems with my terratec aureon 5.1 sky, get nice 5.1 sound when winamp is playing.

To be honest I only got it a few days ago and didn’t mess with it, and I’m planning on reformatting in the next few days anyway so I’ll see what happens. Thanks though.

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
Is the wavelab different from the wave editor that comes with the Audigy ?

What version comes with audigy?

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
To be honest I only got it a few days ago and didn’t mess with it, and I’m planning on reformatting in the next few days anyway so I’ll see what happens. Thanks though.

hehehe

ok :slight_smile:

Go for Audigy and get good speakers.

Audigy better CPU util. , EAX Advance HD, 24bit.

I have Live 5.1 and it’s quite dated.

Originally posted by liteonmania
[B]Go for Audigy and get good speakers.

Audigy better CPU util. , EAX Advance HD, 24bit.

I have Live 5.1 and it’s quite dated. [/B]

TerraTec has better sound quality as the Audigy and Audigy 2
maybe the only downside is that the card uses a bit more CPU power as the Audigy cards, but with the CPU’s of today you wont notice such a big difference as a few years ago.

that the creative cards are better known as the TerraTec cards doesnt mean that the creative cards are better. just look at the specs for each card and dont let you lead by the name of it.

Audigy 2 Platinum - proud and extremely satisfied owner.

Augidy 2 has 6.1 surround sound capabilities, and was the first consumer THX certified card.

Well worth the money, plus, the included Audigy Drive just adds to the performance - RCA, SPDIF, MIDI, Firewire, and the standard audio jacks. Not to mention the cool remote control ;).

Originally posted by Maelstrom

TerraTec has better sound quality as the Audigy and Audigy 2

Creative Audigy is a kid toy compare to TerraTec DMX 6Fire.

Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 vs. Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum

So what ought to have been a duel turned out to not really be one, at all. The DMX 6Fire 24/96 and the Audigy Platinum are both 24-bit cards with an internal rack, but each has a completely different approach, different functions and a different target market.

We observed that in the music field, especially with regard to inputs/ outputs, the DMX 6Fire 24/96 is way ahead of its rival, which is not a “true” 24-bit/ 96-kHz card. But, when it comes to games, the Audigy takes the lead. However, it would be a mistake to stop your evaluation at these two areas where direct comparisons can be made.

The DMX 6Fire 24/96 is a card dedicated to recording, and it does this impeccably. The Audigy Platinum does not offer such a specialized choice and is much more versatile. Don’t forget its SB1394 port, real-time effects DSP of virtually professional quality, its infrared remote control and its host of possibilities for games.

So, the user whose sole desire is a high-performance card for digital recording and for working in 24 bits/ 96 kHz should choose the DMX 6Fire 24/96, without forgetting that, for music creation and effects, it will need the extra investment of a dedicated card. And the user who is a bit less exacting about sound fidelity and neutrality but wants a lot of choice without having to invest too much money will have no trouble in opting for the Audigy Platinum. It’s just a shame that Creative Labs did not go all the way to 24 bits/ 96 kHz, as this certainly would have drawn in more musicians.

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]Creative Audigy is a kid toy compare to TerraTec DMX 6Fire.

Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 vs. Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum [/B]

just as i said :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Maelstrom

just as i said :bigsmile:
I even enjoy its sound on the daily basis :wink: