SOSW-833S or SOSW-852S?

Hi,

I have a laptop Acer TravelMate 250LC with a Lite-on LSC-24082K COMBO-DRIVE installed on it and I want to change the combo by a DVD Burner but I’m having some doubts about the specification about the Lite-on SOSW-833S and the SOSW-852S. I’d like to know the real burner speed of those two drives because I found out many different specifications about them on the internet, so I got confused about the speed. In the manufactor’s site I found:

SOSW-833S
Write DVD+R: 8x (10800KB/sec) maximum by ZCL
ReWrite DVD+RW: 4x (5400KB/sec) maximum by ZCLV
Write DVD-R: 8x (10800KB/sec) maximum by ZCLV
ReWrite DVD-RW: 4x (5400KB/sec) maximum by ZCLV
DL Write DVD+R: 2.4x (3240KB/sec) maximum by CLV (Optional)
Read: CD Family 24x (3600KB/sec) maximum by CAV
DVD Family 8x (10800KB/sec) maximum by CAV
Access time: CD Family 110ms
DVD Family 130ms

and

SOSW-852S
Write DVD+R: 8x (10800KB/sec) maximum by ZCL
ReWrite DVD+RW: 4x (5400KB/sec) maximum by ZCLV
Write DVD-R: 4x (5400KB/sec) maximum by ZCLV
ReWrite DVD-RW: 2x (2700KB/sec) maximum by ZCLV
DL Write DVD+R: 2.4x (3240KB/sec) maximum by CLV (Optional)
Read: CD Family 24x (3600KB/sec) maximum by CAV
DVD Family 8x (10800KB/sec) maximum by CAV
Access time: CD Family 110ms
DVD Family 130ms

Does anybody know if those specifications are correct? And I’d like to know if they are completely compatible with my laptop?

Thanks for any help.

i don’t know about especifications but i do know that 833s is the worst drive is the planet… search this and other foruns and you’ll find many users complaining about it!believe me, don’t spend money on this drive!

Sorry, I’m new. I have a Packard Bell R2125 laptop and when burning a rewritable CD with my Lite-on SOSW-833s it stopped and was no more able to read or write CDs, while it still works properly with DVDs. Now I was thinking to replace it but it is not so cheap (~80Euro + shipping) and I have seen that someone thinks it is the worst on the planet! Is the 852s fully compatibile? is there any other cd/dvd dual layer burner that I can buy for a similar or cheaper price and that is easy to install on my laptop with Win XP and Linux Ubuntu?
Many thanks for your help/suggestions!
Tino