SOS (assembling now): Thermaltake Smart Fan power input and K8KNSNXP

vbimport

I am assembling my new PC using a brand new Gigabyte K8KNSNXP, Winchester 3200 and twin 512 Mb OCZ DDR PC3200 Platinum (please, pray for me!!!).
I have just lost at least one year of life installing the A2018 Thermaltake 120 x 120 smart fan over my Thermalright XP 120 and I would like to connect it directly to the 3-pin mainboard CPU-fan connector; please note that the power input of the fan is 2.4~5.76W (other specs at http://www.thermaltake.com/dcfans/led/bluesmart.htm ): will the fan make the mainboard to burn and explode? Am I obliged to use a 3-pin to 4-pin molex converter (I am tired of cables and converters within my case).
Many thanks in advance (expecially if you’ll answer very soon) :bow:

Now I know why I like ASUS!!! I took a look at your MB website and I can’t find shit!! :a Well see on my Asus A7V8X-X the book tells me " The two fan connectors supports cooling fans of 350mA (4.2 Watts) or a total of 1A (12W) at +12V". See if I lost my book I can go to the web and D/L a pdf version, I didn’t see that option for yours. So for ASUS you wouldn’t have a problem, your’s I don’t know. If you have a book look in the book or return it for one that does. :rolleyes: :slight_smile: Good luck.

Many thanks, PC-Guy: I know Asus mainboards support higher power loads than other products. I’ll let you know if I find an answer to my problem on the manual!!!

++EDIT++
I have found an answer, but it does not satisfy me!! The manual says that the CPU-Fan connector (12 Volts) “supports max current up to 600 mA”.
Can you decrypt this strange message (I am a doctor, not an engineer)?

I’ll auto-answer to my post:

Dear Rorschack,
before posting, you should read carefully the manual, which clearly says that the CPU-Fan connector (12 Volts) “supports max current up to 600 mA”.
5.76 Watt/12 Volts=0.48 Ampere=480 mA, which is the maximum current drained by the fan.
480 does not reach 600 mA, so you can connect the fan directly to your mainboard.