(Sorta) Easier way to convert itunes songs to mp3?

vbimport

I was thinking, couldn’t you have a program take the AAC files and make an audio CD iso? Last I checked only iTunes can burn the AAC files to audio CDs, but it’s likely someone could find a way around that pretty easily. It would be easier than making another PyMusique, probably. I guess it would be possible to create a virtual cd-burner, much like current virtual drives, but it has a setting to produce isos from whatever program accesses it, rather than burning. After making an iso you could simply mount that and convert from it. This would also enable you to convert MORE songs at a time, as the audio cd iso wouldn’t necessarily have to be only 700 megs (depending on what you use to mount it I guess). It would also keep the quality slightly higher, completely digital re-encoding rather than digital to sort-of analog cd back to digital.

If anybody came out with this, I would certainly be grateful, as it would save both time and cd-rs. You listening, DVD Jon?

From what I can see, there doesn’t seem to be any virtual CD/DVD writer software out there. This is likely due to most CD/DVD recording packages having built in support to create an image instead of writing to disc.

I can confirm that iTunes does indeed allow burning of purchased music to regular audio CD as Apple clearly mentions this. The only restriction is that a given playlist cannot be recorded for than 7 times. However the discs that it records are free of any restrictions, unlike the restricted discs sold by Sony BMG. In this case one could easily use an Ultra Speed CD-RW for recording music from iTunes and then any ripping software to rip & convert the music in to the format they prefer, e.g. MP3 for non-iPod’s. A 24x CD-RW (if available) would take aprox. 4 minutes to record, so this along with another 2 to 3 minutes to rip would still work out around 10 times the speed of realtime re-recording (depending on encoding speed, disc reloading/recognition times, etc.). :stuck_out_tongue:

It isn’t too much of a hassle to do via cd-r/w, that’s true, but…I’m out of discs and was just thinking about how to get around that. That and I thought it would be nice if somebody made a largely automated system for doing this, say you open some program, it checks for newly made isos from the virtual drive and automatically mounts them and converts the songs to mp3 (gathering id3 tag information from cd-text information, possibly). A program like that would probably more trouble to make than it’s really worth though.

It sounds much cheaper to burn audios with virtual drive. Maybe I can find some program to do this.

There are mainly two methods to bypass the DRM control for protected music.

The first method is to burn a copy to an audio CD and then rip/encode it. Some software products take a smarter method which allows user to burn music to a Virtual CD-RW disc and then automatically rip/encode the music stored on the Virtual CD-R. This makes the whole conversion process automatically and faster. NoteBurner (www.noteburner.com) is the typical example which uses this Virtual CD-RW drive method.

The second method is to use a recording software and sound card. TuneBite is one of the most popular software.

Thanks for the cute piece of advice. It was that really caused inconveniences and was probably the major reason for my dislike of iTunes, however vast their collections were. Viretual CD is great, when I stuck to plain burning CDs, really sometimes got annoyed.

Pinacolada, did you try NoteBurner?

Thanks, it turned out to be just what I needed for the beginning:)