Sony's 2002 DVD players are high end but priced low

I just posted the article Sony’s 2002 DVD players are high end but priced low..

If you are looking for a DVD player that isn’t really expensive but still offers good quality and nice features then you should certainly read this article on Popularmechanics. It gives more…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4659-Sonys-2002-DVD-players-are-high-end-but-priced-low_.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4659-Sonys-2002-DVD-players-are-high-end-but-priced-low_.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I had a second gen Sony DVD that died right outside a year, got a JVC progress scan replacement and I am much happier with it. Stay away from soony is my gameplan from now on.

Every Sony product I have ever purchased as broken sooner than it should have. I will never buy sony again. Very poor reliability!

I have to agree with the above comments I’m afraid. Sony do make products that work well. However their reliability is poor. I had a £450 VCR of their’s which has a duff TV receiver, and that’s before it’s done 5 years. Yet I have a Panasonic that’s about ten years old now and the quality is still excellent and it works good as gold. We had a Sony 4x 4x etc. CD ReWriter at work, that only lasted a year and a bit. We’ve now moved onto a Liteon 40x now…thank god for that! So like you guys, I avoid Sony, their products are often well specified but they just don’t do what they say on that packet for very long.

I don’t like Sony because they strangle hold any forms of inovation. Also they lock their systems to one region etc.

I used to fix broken Sony stuff… the factory soldering is such cheap crap… mine looked better!

While this may appear to be a good deal, you’ll likely need to mod chip it to deregion it, i.e. play DVDs from outside your region, etc. I don’t know if Super Audio CDs are regioned. I’ve a Sony DVD player and it hasn’t given problems yet. We had to pay €127 that time to get it deregioned. :wink: The Macrovision mod would have cost another €50 extra. Unfortunately, it’s one of the earlier players and cannot play CD-Rs, SACDs or MP3.

I had a second gen Sony DVD that died right outside a year, got a JVC progress scan replacement and I am much happier with it.
I had a cat that got sick and died so I got a dog and it was fun and fetched sticks… what a dumb analogy :wink: