Sony vs Fuji vs Memorex?

vbimport

My store’s got a sale on DVD±R’s for these three manufacturers. All are made in Taiwan. Is there really any diff? Do any of these co’s actually make their own discs in Taiwan? Or are they all made by the same contracter?

Grab Fuji…

I say grab the Sony (sorry Cheffy :flower: )…had good experiences with the 8x and 16x Sonys I’ve used (never used Fuji discs personally, which is why I didn’t recommend them. And with Memorex, it’s pot luck who manufactured them) :wink:

As for the poularity its Sony. Would be interesting what the Fujis are for real. :wink:
Memowrecks is out of question.

Without any doubts, Sony.

The Fujis could be MBI, Ritek (Ricoh), Prodisc or Philips MID.

So Sony makes its own discs in Taiwan?

I would go with Sony I never had good luck with Fuji or Memorex.

Same here SONY :iagree:

[QUOTE=sc_1004;2158850]So Sony makes its own discs in Taiwan?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Sony does manufacture it’s own discs that you can basically only get under the Sony brand (and they are high and consistant quality).

Then Sony it is then!

Thanks all…

You’re looking at Daxon-manufactured Sony DVD+R media, most likely. Not bad stuff.

Same here, Sony. Why? Consistency. And most Sonys are clearly labeled to have been “Made in Taiwan”, at least those that I’ve seen and used.

The last MIT Fuji I got were RitekF16

[QUOTE=tropic;2158940]You’re looking at Daxon-manufactured Sony DVD+R media, most likely. Not bad stuff.[/QUOTE]

I thought Daxon would be MIM and not MIT? I am probably wrong though :stuck_out_tongue:

OP says all the media he mentioned is MIT. I would be surprised to see CMC or Ritek discs in a Sony DVD+R spindle.

[QUOTE=tropic;2159210]OP says all the media he mentioned is MIT. I would be surprised to see CMC or Ritek discs in a Sony DVD+R spindle.[/QUOTE]

Huh? What does CMC or Ritek have to do with it? :confused:

[QUOTE=Womi;2158893]Yes, Sony does manufacture it’s own discs that you can basically only get under the Sony brand (and they are high and consistant quality).[/QUOTE]

Sony brand media that is made in Taiwan or Malaysia is actually manufactured by a company called Daxon, using Sony specifications and materials, and bearing Sony MIDs. It’s almost always been this way.

The only Sony brand media that was made in Sony’s own factories is that which was Made in Japan, and by that I mean the Sony MIJ media that bore Sony MIDs, not the media that had Taiyo Yuden MIDs, which was obviously made by TY. Notice my use of the past tense. Sony MIJ media no longer exists in any form, except for a few remaining packs of Music CD-Rs.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2159188]I thought Daxon would be MIM and not MIT? I am probably wrong though :p[/QUOTE]

See above. This has nothing to do with Daxon media that has Daxon MIDs, which is a totally different thing. Current Sony can be either MIT or MIM, although it’s slowly becoming mostly MIM. In the past, it was MIJ and MIT, but that changed about a year or two ago. The point is, Sony MIM is a recent development, so there is still plenty of Sony MIT out there, especially in the packs with the old design.

[QUOTE=negritude;2159415]Sony brand media that is made in Taiwan or Malaysia is actually manufactured by a company called Daxon, using Sony specifications and materials, and bearing Sony MIDs. It’s almost always been this way.

The only Sony brand media that was made in Sony’s own factories is that which was Made in Japan, and by that I mean the Sony MIJ media that bore Sony MIDs, not the media that had Taiyo Yuden MIDs, which was obviously made by TY. Notice my use of the past tense. Sony MIJ media no longer exists in any form, except for a few remaining packs of Music CD-Rs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course. But just like Verbatim, its still Sonys media even though its made by one or more OEM manufacturers. That is what I meant.

[QUOTE=negritude;2159415]
See above. This has nothing to do with Daxon media that has Daxon MIDs, which is a totally different thing. Current Sony can be either MIT or MIM, although it’s slowly becoming mostly MIM. In the past, it was MIJ and MIT, but that changed about a year or two ago. The point is, Sony MIM is a recent development, so there is still plenty of Sony MIT out there, especially in the packs with the old design.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, I didn’t imply that MIM Sony media would have a Daxon MID. I just said MIM Sony is made by Daxon, which is completely true.

I was not aware that Daxon also have a plant in Taiwan. Thanks for the info :iagree:

About 4 years ago, when I bought some Sony CD-Rs, they have the DAXON ATIP. I have recently bought Sony DVD-Rs, MIM and MIT and both have a SONY MID.

These are some scans of Fujis (some of which I received free from newegg).