Sony Slim Line Optical Drive for Mini-Itx System

vbimport

I just upgraded my mini-itx system and replaced the Sony Optiarc DVD/RW drive with a Matsushita BD-MLT UJ240AS.

This drive worked well for a short time and now complains that the region code is wrong. It will not read discs that the Sony does.

My external drive is a Sony DRU-720A, and this drive seems able to
read and rip almost all the discs in my collection. I can’t put it inside the case because there is only room for a slim optical drive, and my system is SATA-3, so I need a slim SATA drive.

I need a reliable drive for ripping DVDs from my collection. Most of my discs are 7+ years old, and I am moving the titles onto 1Tb 2.5" HDDs.

Because I lived in many countries, I have discs from everywhere. So, ideally I’d have a drive able to by pass that checking.

I’m running Mageia2 Linux with Handbrake, K9copy, K3b, dd and readom.

I hate Windows and finally have a reliable system that permits me to do everything I want to do, without using that CIA data miner.

On Ebay I found the following Sony Optiarc drives:

AD 7590S AD 7800H-01 AD 7700S BC 5640H

are any of these suitable?

INDY

[QUOTE=goprisko;2689157]I just upgraded my mini-itx system and replaced the Sony Optiarc DVD/RW drive with a Matsushita BD-MLT UJ240AS.

[B]This drive worked well for a short time and now complains that the region code is wrong. It will not read discs that the Sony does.[/B]

My external drive is a Sony DRU-720A, and this drive seems able to
read and rip almost all the discs in my collection. I can’t put it inside the case because there is only room for a slim optical drive, and my system is SATA-3, so I need a slim SATA drive.

I need a reliable drive for ripping DVDs from my collection. Most of my discs are 7+ years old, and I am moving the titles onto 1Tb 2.5" HDDs.

Because I lived in many countries, I have discs from everywhere. So, ideally I’d have a drive able to by pass that checking.

I’m running Mageia2 Linux with Handbrake, K9copy, K3b, dd and readom.

I hate Windows and finally have a reliable system that permits me to do everything I want to do, without using that CIA data miner.

On Ebay I found the following Sony Optiarc drives:

AD 7590S AD 7800H-01 AD 7700S BC 5640H

are any of these suitable?

INDY[/QUOTE]

Well, that is the only reason you want to exchange that drive?
Wow, that’s really …blue-eyed.

I mentioned specifically, above that my slim Panasonic BlueRay Writer
won’t read DVDs, claiming the region code is wrong.

Elsewhere on this forum, is mentioned specific DVDs that permit
wide use for ripping, etc.

So, why is it that my request for clarification received a crap answer?

Hmmmmm…

Do I need to kiss someone’s ass???

Or, would you prefer I kick your ass???

INDY

Virtually no one on these forums recommends the Matsushita drives. They cannot be made region free for dvds.

Personally, I’d use the external Sony drive.

I don’t know the slim drives well enough to advise you.

[QUOTE=goprisko;2691523]I mentioned specifically, above that my slim Panasonic BlueRay Writer
won’t read DVDs, claiming the region code is wrong.

Elsewhere on this forum, is mentioned specific DVDs that permit
wide use for ripping, etc.

So, why is it that my request for clarification received a crap answer?

Hmmmmm…

Do I need to kiss someone’s ass???

[B]Or, would you prefer I kick your ass???[/B]

INDY[/QUOTE]

C’mon, L8ER!