Sony RDRVX410 - problems dubbing from VHS to DVD

vbimport

I have also just bought one of these its sony so naturally i thought it’d be one of the best but a few things have come up wiht it:

1. it will play NTSC tapes fine but dubbing from an NTSC tape to dvd doesn’t work it says “please check tv system” the wires are all connected properly so i don’t see what could be causing this, the tv is a sony trinitron from the early 1990s.

2.dubbing from vhs to dvd-rw: it seems to stop recording by itself within 10-15 minutes, it says IND Write" and then stops dubbing and stops playing the tape, this is regardless of being in vr or video mode auto chaptering is set at 5 minutes and the disc has plenty of free space and is formatted.
is there some setting i’ve overlooked, the manual sheds no light on this.

3.tv reception on UHF channels is mediocre thru this unit compared to my vcr which i have just replaced, whats up with that?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard to the CD Freaks forum :wink:

As your DVD recorder is a PAL recorder, the first issue you have is likely due to the recorder’s inability to convert from NTSC to PAL. Most VCRs offer NTSC playback, however very few will actually convert the picture to PAL, but instead output a PAL-60 picture (NTSC frame rate & lines with PAL colour), which most TVs are capable of displaying. This means that while the VCR part of your DVD recorder can play NTSC tapes, it seems like the recorder will only record from a PAL-50 source.

For the 2nd issue, there can be a combination of issues. I have encountered people have problems taping from VHS to DVD from low quality tapes as the DVD recorder would falsely detect VHS interference/noise as copy protection and stop the recording. If your VHS tape has several recordings on it, it could also be that when the first recording ends, the DVD recorder assumes the noise or interruption in-betweeen is the end of the recording. Just to rule this out, I would recommend trying to copy a good quality VHS recording to DVD (of at least an hour in length) and see if it stops during this. If so, then there is likely a fault with your DVD recorder.

Finally, for the 3rd issue, it could be a bad signal cable, connection or tuner board on the DVD recorder. For a start, I would recommend trying another signal cable between the wall socket and the DVD recorder as well as making sure the RF cable is pushed in as far as it can go at each end, however if this does not help or if jiggling the cable at the back of the DVD recorder causes the picture quality to vary, then it is either a faulty RF-in connector or a faulty tuner board in the DVD recorder.

[QUOTE=penguin05]

2.dubbing from vhs to dvd-rw: it seems to stop recording by itself within 10-15 minutes, it says IND Write" and then stops dubbing and stops playing the tape, this is regardless of being in vr or video mode auto chaptering is set at 5 minutes and the disc has plenty of free space and is formatted.
is there some setting i’ve overlooked, the manual sheds no light on this.

QUOTE]

I had the same problem with my brand new unit. The Sony helpline eventually admitted that there were problems and it needed a firmware upgrade. I had to take it to a Sony repair centre for the upgrade. It’s OK now.

I have problem setting the RDR VX 410 UP, I think I have pressed the progressive button on, now, I am not able to view any thing, all I get just the sound, no picture.
I am using scart lead connection.
My Tv is a SONYKD32 DX 150U, I do not know whether my TV is compatibale with progressive scan option.
I can not even get into the main menu screen.
I tried pressing continusly on the pause button but, to no avail.
Please help me.
:sad: :sad: :sad:

I have problem setting the RDR VX 410 UP, I think I have pressed the progressive button on, now, I am not able to view any thing, all I get just the sound, no picture.
I am using scart lead connection.
My Tv is a SONYKD32 DX 150U, I do not know whether my TV is compatibale with progressive scan option.
I can not even get into the main menu screen.
I tried pressing continusly on the pause button but, to no avail.
Please help me.

Yes, I did that too. :o

I did eventually get it back but I’m not absolutely sure how. It does give instructions in the manual how to recover the situation.

Are you pressing the pause button on the remote or on the recorder? Maybe that makes a difference.

keep trying mate, you’ll get it back. :smiley:

One of the Dvd-RW’s i had recorded on with this unit has just suddenly lost everything that was on it, there is absolutuely nothing left on it and it is now showing full capacity remaining it wasn’t near any magnets or cellphones or anything like that it was in its case next to some other cases and near some magnetically shielded speakers. I don’t see how the recorded material can just vanish without me doing anything i’m really peeved as it was unreplaceable material too. The disc is a TDK dvd-rw 4x version 1.2 recorded in VR mode it was unfinalised and i had been addiing more recorded stuff to it since April, any ideas?

Two months later…

DVDs are not affected by magnetic sources unlike tape but you do need to take other precautions like exposure to sunlight, heat, extreme cold, moisture and damage to the surface (both sides).

I’d imagine by know you have resolved your problem but the easy route would be to stick it in a pc and take the data from it there - using recovery programs if necessary.