Sony rdr-hx780

Hi!
I’m writing from Canada where we receive many HD channels from the US but are not switching off our analog signal until 2011. I have just purchased an HDTV but realised that I cannot record my fave American shows using my old VCR. I was told that a DVD recorder is the best choice. Does anyone know if the 780 can record HD programs? If not, there is also a Pioneer unit available - will it work for me? Oh yeah, I’m using an antenna not cable or satellite.
Thanks so much!!
Cyndylou :confused:

[QUOTE=cyndylou;2200863]Hi!
I’m writing from Canada where we receive many HD channels from the US but are not switching off our analog signal until 2011. I have just purchased an HDTV but realised that I cannot record my fave American shows using my old VCR. I was told that a DVD recorder is the best choice. Does anyone know if the 780 can record HD programs? If not, there is also a Pioneer unit available - will it work for me? Oh yeah, I’m using an antenna not cable or satellite.
Thanks so much!!
Cyndylou :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes it will record HD programs, mine does anyway.

It will record HD, but it does NOT have an internal tuner. You will need a HD tuner, and then feed the tuner output into your recorder. You may also want to check the price of Blu-ray discs before deciding on a Blu-ray recorder. They aren’t exactly cheap.