Sony q 1 2 0 a reading only cds but no dvds

Hi, I actually bought this dvd writer a year back and not really used it… but when I started using it … ie. recntly… I found that i can’t read dual layer discs ie. 8.5 GB one… but was doing fine with 4.7 discs.

Now 2-3 days back… it is now not reading any DVDs but only CDs … and that too sometimes takes a long time.

I am actually following related posts on this forum from a month… still no gain.

What I have done is…

1. Updated to latest firmware available for this drive ie. PYS3
  2. Replaced 40pin cable with 80pin
  3. Cleaned lense manually
  4. Updated Motherboard’s chipset driver to latest available.
  5. Even swapped drives ie. master , slave… alone … etc.
  6. Tried in different computers

One more thing to add… I think it is writing DVDs perfectly as yesterday I made a DVD using this drive and was working fine on other computer .

Somwhere in forum I read that it may be due to DRM or rootkit stuff… but I do not exactly understood what is all about… Googling does not gave clear Idea…
So kindly suggest… …
Should I buy new one or it can be used ?

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=Saahib;1959121
Now 2-3 days back… it is now not reading any DVDs but only CDs … and that too sometimes takes a long time.
(…)
What I have done is…

1. Updated to latest firmware available for this drive ie. PYS3
  2. Replaced 40pin cable with 80pin[/quote] an 80wired cable is mandatory for these drives.
  1. Tried in different computers
    If the drive also failed in another computer, then it’s gone bad for some reason :frowning:

Somwhere in forum I read that it may be due to DRM or rootkit stuff… but I do not exactly understood what is all about… Googling does not gave clear Idea…
[google]Sony rootkit[/google] is one example.
In that case, “drivers” that behave like malware (hiding from system functions etc) are installed, that prevent the use of some functionality of your optical drive.
Such can easily be ruled out by using the drive in another computer, which you already did, but with no success.

Michael

What I see…

I can write DVD… is reading CDs… My drive is fine… isn’t ?
Some post regarding same drive was saying that his drive working fine in win2K but not in XP …
BUt I was unable to get any Win 2K pc so unable to verify. BTw, can I install win2k after winXP ? … as this is the last thing I m thinking to try…
Or any other idea to verify if my drive is gone bad or its software / driver issue ?

<BUMP>

Should I consider my DVD dead ie. useless ?

[QUOTE=Saahib;1961184]<BUMP>

Should I consider my DVD dead ie. useless ?[/QUOTE]

You did answer your Q in post #3.

Software/driver problem so it seems.