Sony pulls the plug on Optiarc PC drives

vbimport

Sony pulls the plug on Optiarc PC drives.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]Read more to learn why Sony pulls the plug on OptiArc PC drives...

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/sony-pulls-the-plug-on-optiarc-pc-drives-63442/](http://www.myce.com/news/sony-pulls-the-plug-on-optiarc-pc-drives-63442/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

At least six months of hoarding is available. But they’re still manufacturing the important working-parts for sale to other assemblers, probably like they’re doing now. Somehow, the demand for those parts isn’t abating? Just the metal case with the cardboard boxes?

Well, every time I watch PERRY MASON, I also lament the loss of a 1964 Lincoln Continental. Of course, i’d insist on the convertible and to have Paul Drake chauffeuring me and my entourage.

I’m not surprised. It’s been qutie a while since I burned a CD or DVD. I’m thinking about getting a BD writer but am unsure if I will use it enough to justify the cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=140781806444&nma=true&rt=nc&si=7onTEtk%2FUrVOZJKlwuSLopviGkk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Sony DRU-V204A is the same as Optiarc 7200A/ IDE Interface.

[QUOTE=RTV71;2652079]I’m not surprised. It’s been qutie a while since I burned a CD or DVD. I’m thinking about getting a BD writer but am unsure if I will use it enough to justify the cost.[/QUOTE]

Save your money and just buy a BluRay reader.
I have probably burned a total of 5 BluRay disks since buying my burners a year ago. Disks are expensive, still won’t hold a whole movie (sans unwanted trailers) and take nearly an hour to burn. Get yourself a 1tb portable hard drive and a Media player instead. If you buy a new TV then you can probably dispense with the Media Player as well. Takes far less time to transfer a 35gig file to a hard drive (even USB2) than to burn a BluRay.

Optical media is not yet dead but it’s gasping for breath and it’s days are numbered.

Optical media still have a place while the read/write times of USB flash improve…
specifically, I am disappointed when it comes to what I see in the 32 and 64gb USB FLASH DRIVE capacities… write speeds of 4 megabytes a second??? WTF!!

Blu Ray media are more competitive in price these days… although I do have concerns about long term storage data integrity… organic dyes are not what they used to be…

Media boxes with various flash, hard drive and wired/wireless streaming options are making the “dumb” HDTV’s a much more entertaining prospect while jettisoning your cable-tv subscription. Perhaps Sony sees that as the future and not optical discs… but they better get on the stick with some products or they will be left behind

Sony is one of the main reasons for the decline of discs since they were in on the creation of the blu-ray disc format.
With all the copy protection junk and other stuff one must jump hoops through just to use BD…and from what I hear to use the BD license.
It is easier to grab a hard drive…
There are a lot of people that have a negative impression when the word “Sony” comes up.
Rub the consumer the wrong sometimes doesn’t pay off.
Sony has been on my shtlist for a long time.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2652149]Save your money and just buy a BluRay reader. Get yourself a 1tb portable hard drive and a Media player instead. If you buy a new TV then you can probably dispense with the Media Player as well. Takes far less time to transfer a 35gig file to a hard drive (even USB2) than to burn a BluRay.

Optical media is not yet dead but it’s gasping for breath and it’s days are numbered.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, get a portable 1.5TB or 2TB HDD and media player. I used to buy DVD-R discs by the 100 pack spindles. Now I hardly ever burn a CD or DVD. USB drives, SD cards, and hard drives rule.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2652220]There are a lot of people that have a negative impression when the word “Sony” comes up.
Rub the consumer the wrong sometimes doesn’t pay off.
Sony has been on my shtlist for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Sony sucks balls. True story. They didn’t listen to the people and so the people stopped buying their junk. They’re almost as bad as Apple, but without the cult following.

Steve and Duke, your very kind and generous portraits of Sony are WAY too tender for our household!

But honestly, I was shocked when Sony “won” the DVD-Replacement-Format wars against Toshiba-and-everyone-else that were proffering “HD” format instead of “BD”.

That’s because Sony won the Audio-CD format wars, and all of these players had to divvy up royalty fees on that basis. Then when DVD Format came out, everyone avoided Sony’s single-format for a wide-open field. Which, yes, created problems - cooperation between disks, burners and players.

But we STILL have those issues now even WITH a Sony-Certified standard BluRay format. The consumers haven’t gained ONE THING.

Sony has. Toshiba, Pioneer, JVC, etc - they’ve all lost.

I still can’t figure out how Sony finagled this arm-twisting, neck-breaking victory, either. They had a couple of studios claiming their support but, heck, “contracts” and “studios” have nothing in common. If the HD Format Folks would have played harder ball, lined up more allies AND reminded consumers of Sony shenanigans, well…

Pigs could fly.

Elvis & Lee Harvey could be cruisin’ around on gasoline additives.

And Stormy would give me my 12Tb drives today.

Darn. I can never win! Maybe I need a bigger rolling pin? Or get that solid granite one off the wall.

Maybe they will sell off optiarc to another brand.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2652427]Maybe they will sell off optiarc to another brand.[/QUOTE]
Let’s cross fingers that they will do and hopefully also using the same technology, but I guess chances for this are rather low :frowning:

This was unavoidable for Sony and NEC had been considering to stop manufacturing PC optical drives for many years, long before the creation of Optiarc. They continued making Optiarc drives even when profits could no more justify production. Apple sells a single unit of iPhone and iPad at hundreds of dollars. LG and Samsung sell a single unit of CD, DVD, and Blu-ray drives at under US$20 on average. The average profit per unit for Apple is sometimes over US$200. That for the ODD business on average has been more like US$1~2 for more than 10 years. Profit-driven companies like NEC and Sony do not wish to stay in the competition when they can still sell far more profitable things like the equipment for making the chips and disks, chips, heads, etc., and the license fee attached to every hardware item.

Sony is a good company, they just can’t make a low end product worth a darn. Look at some of their current products, Their ES home audio line is awesome while their Best Buy everyday stuff is junk.

I was surprised when they put out a quality DVD burner for the cost of the 7200 and 7240 are or was. I was going to get a Sony Blu-Ray burner but the Pioneer had better reviews and could not beat the Fry’s price on my LG’s. For the most part I don’t even waste my time with burning much anymore. I save my movies to HDD and watch via WD media center or DNLA

I hope someone buys Optiarc (and not just the name) and continues to produce them. But if not, I’ll probably switch over to LG (who I’ve been using for my BD burners and have been quite happy with).