Sony provides executable to facilitate removal of rootkit

I just posted the article Sony provides executable to facilitate removal of rootkit.

Thanks to  a posting here by member Alex Thyl, we  learn that this morning Sony has taken another step to help those customers that  are saddled with the infamous rootkit. It appears they have...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11097-Sony-provides-executable-to-facilitate-removal-of-rootkit.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11097-Sony-provides-executable-to-facilitate-removal-of-rootkit.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Alas, ha! ha! gottcha again, for if , an uninstaller existed for this dastardly garbage DRM, both Mark Russinovitch at systernals.com and the brilliant team of F secure, would know about it and tell everyone! But alas checks to both sites show no updates at this point in time yet! Besides, the only thing F4I does well, it seems is to offer an update SP2 package labelled as an unistaller in zip format to hide it’s size Oh well, back to the PR of misinformation treadmill again!!! (ps has anyone see amazon.com rating of the Van Zant bros is now one and half stars with the large percentage adivising don’t buy this cd is poison!) :r

The plot thickens (see actual site to see the screenshots) http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/ I laughed when I read the following: “Thank you for contacting Sony BMG Online. Sony BMG and First 4 Internet have released an update that will reveal and remove the original rootkit-based DRM content protection replace it with non-rootkit DRM technology…-- UMM, YEAH, catch a f.u.c.k.i.n.g. clue? Trying to validate the existence of the DRM claiming the rootkit is the only bad part? LOL, try again. No one wants the DRM period and the implementation of a rootkit ONLY shows why the DMCA must be striken off the law books forever, with huge fines and prison time for anyone who creates DRM in the firstplace. Now for the second part “If you still wish to fully uninstall our DRM software…” --wow lets hold it right there. BEHOLD, the perpetrator THEMSELVES realizing that they have brought this upon themselves (not quite but at least an inkling). Hahaha, this puts the screws right to these scumbags. THEY have to offer a full uninstall themselves and in so doing SONY, a.k.a. the RIAA is about to commit a FELONY by violating THEIR OWN piece of shit legislation, the DMCA. Hahahaha, f.u.c.k you you bastards, you have fallen to your own corruption, and it is just the beginning. Behold the power of what you sow, you shall also reap!!! Sony you just lost another customer that may have otherwise bought your PS3, now you can take it and shove it up your a$$!! LIFETIME BOYCOTT DUMBASSES. “EULAs and Disclosure: Sony’s Player Phones Home There’s more to the story than rootkits, however, and that’s where I think Sony is missing the point. As I’ve pointed out in press interviews related to the post, the EULA does not disclose the software’s use of cloaking or the fact that it comes with no uninstall facility. An end user is not only installing software when they agree to the EULA, they are losing control of part of the computer, which has both reliability and security implications. There’s no way to ensure that you have up-to-date security patches for software you don’t know you have and there’s no way to remove, update or even identify hidden software that’s crashing your computer. The EULA also makes no reference to any 'phone home” behavior, and Sony executives are claiming that the software never contacts Sony and that no information is communicated that could track user behavior. However, a user asserted in a comment on the previous post that they monitored the Sony CD Player network interactions and that it establishes a connection with Sony’s site and sends the site an ID associated with the CD. I decided to investigate so I downloaded a free network tracing tool, Ethereal, to a computer on which the player was installed and captured network traffic during the Player’s startup. A quick look through the trace log confirmed the users comment: the Player does send an ID to a Sony web site. This screenshot shows the command that the Player sends, which is a request to an address registered to Sony for information related to ID 668, which is presumably the CD’s ID: In response the Sony web site reports the last time a particular file was updated: I dug a little deeper and it appears the Player is automatically checking to see if there are updates for the album art and lyrics for the album it’s displaying. This behavior would be welcome under most circumstances, but is not mentioned in the EULA, is refuted by Sony, and is not configurable in any way. I doubt Sony is doing anything with the data, but with this type of connection their servers could record each time a copy-protected CD is played and the IP address of the computer playing it. The media has done a great job of publicizing this story, which has implications that extend beyond DRM to software EULAs and disclosure, and I hope that the awareness they’re creating will result in Congressional action. Both the software industry and consumers need laws that will clearly draw lines around acceptable behaviors.”

http://news.com.com/5208-7355-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=11069&messageID=82524&start=-1 “No comments” - baloney Reader post by: Wally Bass Posted on: Wed Nov 02 19:23:09 PST 2005 Story: Sony CD protection sparks security concerns >>"I think this is slightly old news,"Gilliat- Smith said. “For the eight months that these CDs have been out, we haven’t had any comments about malware (malicious software) at all.”

Here’s what Sony BMG’s Global Digital Business President Thomas Hesse told NPR (National Public Radio) when he was asked for his stance on the matter: “Most people, I think, don’t even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?”
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 09.11.2005 00:17]

Here’s what Sony BMG’s Global Digital Business President Thomas Hesse told NPR (National Public Radio) when he was asked for his stance on the matter: “Most people, I think, don’t even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?” “Most people,i think don’t even know what PIRACY is, so why should they care about it?”

If I used this method on a big companies computers like Sony I would be looking at 15 years for computer misuse but if a company like Sony do it to me noone is blame and noone see’s any time.

Why aren’t affected Canadians launching a class-action lawsuit to sue the *** out of Sony under the Privacy Act? You do business here, you play by our rules - PERIOD.