Sony Optiarc writer recommendation?

vbimport

Is there a Sony Optiarc DVD±RW/RAM writer capable of performing reliable quality scans?

Too bad no :frowning:

The only reliable drives still easy to find in the market are Lite-On.

I beg to differ :slight_smile:

AD720x and AD724x series are at least acceptable as scanners. And unlike Liteon drives, they can scan CD media. Okay, jitter scanning is not possible.

Michael

oops… I didn’t know this :doh:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2494564]I beg to differ :slight_smile:

AD720x and AD724x series are at least acceptable as scanners. And unlike Liteon drives, they can scan CD media. Okay, jitter scanning is not possible.

Michael[/QUOTE]

My experience with an optiarc 724x rebadge (HP 1270 r) in DVD media scanning was pretty bad actually - high PIE values with weird spikes around the 3GB area. Am I missing something?

[QUOTE=chong;2495892]My experience with an optiarc 724x rebadge (HP 1270 r) in DVD media scanning was pretty bad actually - high PIE values with weird spikes around the 3GB area. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
How did the scans look on another drive? It is possible that the drive saw the disc with a quality that others drives would have seen, too.

Well when my first one got overheated last summer it had some nasty spikes too, usually towards the end of the burn it would go nuts.
My new one has burned pretty well so far, even did a cheap Memorex DL at 8x pretty well.
Hard part these days is actually getting good quality media that burns well in anything…
I have a few old BenQ drives I use for scanning and burning some of the crappier media.

[QUOTE=chong;2495892]My experience with an optiarc 724x rebadge (HP 1270 r) in DVD media scanning was pretty bad actually - high PIE values with weird spikes around the 3GB area. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]Custom firmware for OEM drives is often very different from the original one. Sometimes, advanced features are simply broken (or even removed) due to that customisation.

Michael