Sony Optiarc to cease operations?

vbimport

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=34069

Tell me it ain’t so, Joe!

This would actually be very sad news. :frowning:

One (IMHO very good) player less in the market. Found a couple of sources for this information, so I guess it’s actually true. Perhaps it’s time to get another one or two AD-7280S drives :wink:

Aww. :frowning: This makes me kinda sad: one of my favorite brands (I had wanted an NEC drive for the longest, and I was so excited when I got an AD-7201S) disappears, & takes with it a chunk of the enthusiast community. But I understand; businesses can’t stay open for a niche market if they aren’t bringing in the money.

Maybe it’ll be like BenQ & we’ll see burns & scans from their drives for a little while longer after they shut down.

Yo-

I am SO sorry to hear this.

I have faithfully used their drives for years and have recommended them to many people-eh!!

Don’t be too sad, it’s Sony. Feel sorry for the people that have lost their jobs.
When Sony took over NEC I felt the drives were not so good and stopped using them. They burned OK, but the last 3 I bought had very short lives.
We are becoming a very niche market and DVD is on the way down side of it’s bell curve. I can see getting a DVD burner in the future will be difficult.
Blu-ray ain’t so great either, the blank disc prices are taking forever to reach a sensible price, I can see that dying sooner than it should.
It all seems to be download, streaming and solid state storage these days, physical disc media and storage will disappear after a while. Sad isn’t it. :frowning:

I’ve also posted it.

Maybe you should make an official statement on the news Liggy :wink:

What official statement do you expect me to make? For me this is very sad news - perhaps time to buy a couple of good drives and store them in a safe place just in case an old drive needs to be replaced.

I’m still very happy with my AD-7201S (my best drive ever) and using the ND-3540A (still NEC) for scanning. Results from my 7240S are not that good - no matter whether I use it as 7240S or 7263S :bigsmile:

Maybe a wake would be more in order than an official announcement. I wish I had been wrong. NEC (or Optiarc) has been my drive of choice for many years now, starting way back with an ND-1100A, but that’s about to end. Looks as if MyCE has made an official announcement on their main page, anyway.

Liggy, my best drive ever was an ND-3500A, followed closely by a Pioneer DVR-215D. My current AD-7200S is nearly as good either of those and I’m glad I was recently able to buy a brand new AD-7200S to put on the shelf as a backup. Tests showed that it was as good as the one I’m currently using. It cost me $30. USD, twice as much as a NewEgg Special Deal Of The Day drive, but I’ve been saying for some time that drives have been getting way too cheap to maintain any real R&D or quality standards.

BTW, the famous (to baseball fans, anyway) quote in my initial message should have read “Say it ain’t so, Joe”. :sad:

Sad indeed. :sad: Fortunately, I still have these on-hand. :bigsmile:

[ul]
[li]7200S[/li][li]7201S[/li][li]7203S[/li][li]7240S[/li][li]7260S[/li][li]7261S[/li][li]7280S[/li][/ul]

Soooo…any chance of a tool for a dummy like me now that Sony-Optiarc is now defunct? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=KTL;2652338]Sad indeed. :sad: Fortunately, I still have these on-hand. :bigsmile:

[ul]
[li]7200S
[/li][li]7201S
[/li][li]7203S
[/li][/ul][/QUOTE]Just in case someone breaks into your house and steals these three drives, I can assure you that it was not me

Soooo…any chance of a tool for a dummy like me now that Sony-Optiarc is now defunct? :slight_smile:

They’re not out of business yet! :disagree:

tonight… :bigsmile:
7201S + 7203S for you and the 7200S for me. :cool:

Hmmm…I might just sleep downstairs tonight… :eek:

Typical Sony.

Have to be extra nice to my 7200S now and the 7240S that’s been sitting in a box for 2.5 years as a backup.

Very sad news, now that I was expecting to buy a AD-7280S-CB drive :doh: It seems I have to buy a AD-7280S ASAP.

Picked up used 7200S and 7203S drives. :stuck_out_tongue: They seemed to be OEM pulls since the firmwares weren’t mainstream. But they’ve been updated to official ones. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=KTL;2654936]Picked up used 7200S and 7203S drives. :stuck_out_tongue: They seemed to be OEM pulls since the firmwares weren’t mainstream. But they’ve been updated to official ones. :)[/QUOTE]

SCORE !!! :bigsmile:

No matter how high my pile of spare AD7200 gets, I am still always tempted to grab a few more :rolleyes::).

[QUOTE=KTL;2654936]They seemed to be OEM pulls since the firmwares weren’t mainstream. But they’ve been updated to official ones. :)[/QUOTE]
And where are the OEM firmware dumps? :rolleyes:

Or were these firmwares that are already available?

I’ve been out of the loop for awhile, is there a difference in writing quality between the 7200, 7201 & 7203 drives? Are there any rebadges?

Should have probably asked this before picking up 2 7200S and a 7201S off ebay. Thanks

Sorry, I was overly excited to start playing around with them. The 7203S had 1.W2, which may be the same as the 7200A. I can’t remember what the 7200S had, but I have it saved as well.

Here is the 7203S 1.W2.

There “should” be no differences in writing qualities among the three, but each drive varies from another, so there’s no guarantee they will all be the same.

These are the 7200S rebadges that I know of:

[ul]
[li]Plextor PX-820SA
[/li][li]Sony DRU-V200S
[/li][/ul]