SONY Optiarc AD7263S / AD7261S

vbimport

Hello! I noticed these 2 drives are practically identical.

The first one features LabelFlash technology.
The second one features LightScribe technology.

I was wondering…

…is it possible to cross flash these two drives?

So to switch from one technology to the other?

It would also be interesting to see if it’s possible to patch the firmware to write on the data side of CDs too…

:smiley:

Zibri

This is possible but not supported by us. Details are explained in [thread=166962]this thread[/thread]

LightScribe requires hardware inside the drive, that non-LightScribe drives don’t have, so it’s not possible to add LightScribe capability by crossflashing.

Even for drives that support burning labels to the data-side of CD-R media, todays CD-R media is such that the label would be very faint and difficult or impossible to see, so I don’t think it’s worth the effort to even investigate whether it’s possible.

There’s nothing physically preventing a LightScribe drive from burning a Labelflash disc or DiscT@2’ing the data side of a DVD, but I don’t know if the firmware in the 7261 drive currently supports it.

@Liggy well in that thread I read about x170-x171-x173 cross flash…

I have no idea what to use to try it with AD7263S >> AD7261S and back :frowning:

[QUOTE=Zibri;2544933]@Liggy well in that thread I read about x170-x171-x173 cross flash…

I have no idea what to use to try it with AD7263S >> AD7261S and back :([/QUOTE]
It’s the same across all the latest drive series, not matter whether it’s the 5170<->7170<->7171<->7173 seriess or the 5260<->7260<->7261<->7263 series

I imagined that… the problem is that if as you say the 3S has no LS led then it will be useless to xflash it to 1S… won’t it?

It actually IS useless. It has already been tried and although the drive then pretends to support Lightscribe, it simply does not work.

Not a problem… it was just curiosity since I think LabelFlash is much better.

In addition to that, all the AD7263S supports also DISKT@2 on the data side which LS drives don’t.

I bought 50 LF disks just for testing… I think they will be enough for life :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Zibri;2545143]Not a problem… it was just curiosity since I think LabelFlash is much better.[/QUOTE]
In my opinion both are crap. If you want a properly labelled disc, get yourself printable discs and a proper printer. It doesn’t necessarily have to be something like that one :wink:

Lol… don’t worry… I have a friend in EPSON who can print labels that look like originals if I need to… but I don’t… I was just learning a bout a feature of my new dvd burner I ordered and that will be delivered next week…

I love to learn everything about every product I own and explore and exploit every possible feature.

I have the same problem but I want to go from a AD7421S to a AD7420S thus disabling the lightscribe because the 1.04 firmware was released for the AD7420S and not the AD7421S. I don’t care about lightscribe and have no plan to use it; what did they change in the 1.04 anyway? Is anything in the 1.04 firmware worth the risk of flashing?

Anyone confirmed that crossflashing from 7261S (lightscribe) to 7263S (labelflash) works?

I mean did anyone successfully write a labelflash label with a crossflashed 7261S?

In case you really get hold of a bootcode flasher for this drive series, make sure that it supports your hardware revision as there are at least two different hardware versions available!

I’ll get the drive at the end of the week… in the meanwhile I dumped the 7263S bootcode (you have a PM)

I already had that bootcode :slight_smile:

No doubt :wink:

Crossflashed 7261S to 7263S successfully :slight_smile:
It would be nice to create a custom firmware with both LS and LF.

I now wonder if it’s possible with these drives to write small labels on the CD DATA SIDE.

Anyone tried?

Labelflash drives say “not supported” in labelflash/disct@2 software :frowning:

[QUOTE=Zibri;2615012]I now wonder if it’s possible with these drives to write small labels on the CD DATA SIDE.

Anyone tried?

Labelflash drives say “not supported” in labelflash/disct@2 software :([/QUOTE]

I guess it´s not possible. Only for DVD ±R. Not even for DVD±R DL. Correct me if I´m wrong. Bye the way Zibri I sent you a PM.