Sony Optiarc AD-7240S "Power Calibration Error" on Dual-Layer Burns Only?

vbimport

I have a Lite-On iHAS324 for reading/scanning and a Sony Optiarc AD-7240S for burning.

I’ve used TDK 8x DL, Intact 8x DL (cheap brand), and Ritek 8x DL, and it intermittently gives me “power calibration errors” on dual-layer burns only.
I’ll burn a half-dozen DL fine, and then the next few are all “power calibration errors”.
Next time I use my computer for burning, it’s the same story, some DL will burn fine, then the next few are coasters.
I have flashed the drive to latest firmware 1.03.

This happens with CloneCD, UltraISO, and Nero Express.
It always happens at about half-way, approx 40-60% through the copy process.
I have Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installed.
My power supply is a Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W W0133.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, if nothing fixes it, I’ll try to pursue an RMA on this drive.

Thanks in advance.
nirvs.

[QUOTE=nirvana_1911;2480923]I have a Lite-On iHAS324 for reading/scanning and a Sony Optiarc AD-7240S for burning.

I’ve used TDK 8x DL, Intact 8x DL (cheap brand), and Ritek 8x DL, and it intermittently gives me “power calibration errors” on dual-layer burns only.
I’ll burn a half-dozen DL fine, and then the next few are all “power calibration errors”.
Next time I use my computer for burning, it’s the same story, some DL will burn fine, then the next few are coasters.
I have flashed the drive to latest firmware 1.03.

This happens with CloneCD, UltraISO, and Nero Express.
It always happens at about half-way, approx 40-60% through the copy process.
I have Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installed.
My power supply is a Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W W0133.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, if nothing fixes it, I’ll try to pursue an RMA on this drive.

Thanks in advance.
nirvs.[/QUOTE]
Have you tried burning these discs in the 324? I’ve found my 324A to be a better DL burner than my 7240. Have you tried a slower burning speed? The DL’s you’ve chosen can be troublesome for many burners.

Stay away from cheap DL or the trouble will not end.

I’ve tried to burn DL with the iHAS-324, and have not had a single coaster.
It’s only with the AD-7240S.
I’ve tried x6 a couple of times instead of 8x, and it copied fine.
I’ve used the Ritek 8x DL, and burned 10 DL discs one after each other, and did not have any coasters.
So I guess it was the media, and not the burner. I was about to RMA the AD-7240S.
:slight_smile:

Not getting a coaster doesnt mean the burn were fine.